• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New web page test- and Financial crisis in Russia

Share/Bookmark

New web page test- and Financial crisis in Russia

I've just received an update on how things are going in Moscow, Russia, where the repertory company at The Stas Namin Center is working on the Russian version of my musical, "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray."

They're continuing to work on the show, but are forced to go into hiatus until September, when they hope to afford starting up again.

The original plan for me to fly over to Moscow to work with them again had to be cancelled. And hiring new designers on the special project can't happen now either, it will be an in-house production.

Russia has been hit harder with the financial crisis than The States, if you can imagine that. Apparently the theatre is really struggling just to keep their doors open.

At least they haven't completely abandoned the project!

This has been brewing for some time, the new email from them just confirmed the specifics - that they'll need to wait to start work again.

And that segues to how I've been doing what I can to help promote production of the show here in The States. Michael Butler produced "Pope Joan" in Hollywood in the time slot when "Dorian" was originally going to be done. He wanted the Russian production to happen first. Now "Joan" has turned out to be of substantial cost, and they're in the process of trying to move the show into a larger house. This leaves plans for a Hollywood "Dorian" way in the indeterminate future.

What Michael would like to see is for the show to be produced by appropriately equipped companies at venues across the country, and bypassing the usual route which has New York as the ultimate goal. That is quite fine with me, since I've known since day one that my idiosyncratic musical is Not in the commercial, Broadway mold. I believe the days are gone when a show Has to be done in New York to gain legitimacy.

SO - Could you please check the new "Dorian" pages which I've recently gotten up? They're online, but I consider them in the Beta stage. It's a small and to-the-point site with basic show and contact info.

But it's all Flash based - and it assumes that viewers are on up-to-date computers with current Flash players, and with a good connection speed. I'm afraid people with less-than-current set ups may have trouble with the site.

I've tested it on three computers so far, and it's looking and working great - But I still have concerns.

Use the link in my sig - the domain name of dorian-the-musical still takes people to the new pages.

That's what's new with me. Please let me know what issues you might have with the site - either replying here on the thread or by using my email address located under my name in this post.

Thanks.

Randy

Re: New web page test- and Financial crisis in Russia

I'm sorry to hear the bad news about delays. That has got to be frustrating, especially when you have something so terrific to offer. My fingers are crossed that someone will appear ready to produce Dorian!

For all the bellyaching we do in the States about the economy, Europe and Asia are worse off and recovery time will likely take more time than the USA. Ack.

I went through the web pages and everything looks great! I tried everything but sending an email and all worked as advertised. I like the concise message of the home page, it is well thought out.

[Edid] Where did you find the iPod like MP3 player? That thing is nifty!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

That's super, thank you so much, Kevin, for testing it out. I'm glad to hear it worked fine for you, and that you liked what you saw there too--Thanks! The email form has worked from the computers I've tested the site from, so I'm satisfied that form is working.

As for the disappointments - Yeah, show biz - and not just show biz, but in the middle of this horrendous financial crunch. It's rotten - every aspect of life, all over the planet, is changing.

My Russian producer, Stas Namin, was once one of the wealthiest and most influential men in post-Communist Russia. He's taken a huge battering, as has everyone over there - and here, and EVerywhere!

Life goes on!

Thanks again.

Randy

Well the first time I visited the page it crashed Firefox. Sent a bug report to the company just in case it was their problem. It worked alright the second time - very flashy and the "free version" beg notice isn't as irritating. Everything was concisely and effectively displayed. The only real problem I had was with the "iPod" MP3 player - the buttons don't seem to do anything and the graphic kept zooming in and out on the screen a few dozen times before I realized you were supposed to click on the song titles.

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Thanks for the report, Chris.

HMmm, crashing Firefox isn't good. Two of the three computers I've tried this on have Firefox, including the one I tweaked the site from. That made me think it was OK on this browser - Your report gives me pause, gotta decide what I can do about that.

The MP3 player--Lol--It sure does a dance, doesn't it though? OK, I'll add the info "click the song titles."

My problem is that you can't change the size of the song title fonts inside that player - So longer titles just run out of room, and there's no way to make them fit. That's why I added the notebook style page at the top which zooms up with the list of songs and who sings them.

One other problem I sometimes have - the You Tube video doesn't always load up when I first go to the site - a blue box comes up. That's why I have the small text under the video box, saying to please re-load the page if a video frame doesn't come up. I may need to link the video to a copy at my own site instead of YT.

Appreciate your help, Chris - Thanks!

Randy

The video has worked every subsequent time for me.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute View Post
    The video has worked every subsequent time for me.

-Chris
    OH good! That's encouraging--thanks, Chris. Maybe I can leave that part as it is, then.

By the way, I'm glad you found the free notice there less irritating than some. I'm happy with the way that looks too. If I end up convinced that the Winix site will work OK, then I'll probably pay the monthly fee which of course gets rid of the ad and makes some other things available too.

Thanks again.

Randy

Well I think your music should be heard in New York Randy. I have to admit I haven't heard all of Dorian (and if you still have a link to the Original Cast recording I'd love to - sadly the music player on the new site isn't working for me) but I enjoyed the numbers I did hear more than I enjoy most musicals.

I think it's sad that the language of the musical seems to have stagnated, and you have to write in exactly the same style as all the other mainstream shows if you want a mainstream hit. Maybe next time, instead of developing real craft, you should buy the rights to some band's greatest hits album, write a reeeaaally flimsy plot to excuse singing most of it, and watch the dollars pile up.
    David

David "Pingu"---What a wonderful post, thanks much for it.

Yes indeed, those shows based on the song catalogs of pop groups are pretty much sure-fire money-makers.

Your post actually says succinctly why my show doesn't have to be in New York to be a success, albeit on a smaller scale. Broadway is such a mixed bag, and is of course suffering greatly during this financial crash. But for quite awhile, Broadway hasn't been the automatically set upon goal for new stage musicals. It's rather like TV shows no longer need to be on the big traditional networks to reach their audience.

People have said, always in a well-meaning, flattering way, that "Dorian" is Broadway material - But over and over it's been clear to me, actually starting from when I first started writing it, that it simply doesn't fit into that kind of commercial mold, no matter How far the mold is stretched. And that is OK.

We shouldn't forget, however, that some very innovative and excellent shows do make it to Broadway - it's not as if they all are pop music re-hashes or copy cat scores emulating previous hits. "Grey Gardens" and "Light in the Piazza" are very unusual musicals which have found success on Broadway and on the road, for instance.

Thanks for your support and good wishes. I'll send you the link to the cast MP3s which I made available to Forum members last year. Thanks for your interest.

P.S. I made use of one of your Piano string scrape samples in the "Dorian" tracks!--Remember when you posted those samples for us ages ago?!

Randy

Randy,

Sorry to hear things have been delayed in Russia. You have a great attidtude - "Yeah, show biz" .

Having experienced your production of Dorian, I believe it does have great commercial potential. It is only a matter of time that the world enjoys it.

LFO is right, the rest of the world is not doing as well as we are in the USA. Russia’s economy has contracted at an annual rate of 8.8% recently, the value of the rouble has fallen by 20 per cent, its stock market is in freefall and industrial output has suffered a substantial decline. I read recently that thousands of protesters took to the streets in Vladivostock and other places to protest the government's handling of the economy. Your producer's fortunes illustrate the severity of the situation. And it's happening everywhere. However, Russia's finance minister predicted the national economy will grow by 2 to 3 percent in 2010.

Hopefully we'll be out of this mess soon. There does seem to be silver linings appearing in the news.

The show will go on!

Best,

Gary

Go Back to forum