• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sign of the Times: Manny’s Music Shutting Down

Share/Bookmark

Sign of the Times: Manny’s Music Shutting Down

This one really hits home:

It doesn’t get much more iconic, more historic in the world of MI retail than Manny’s Music in New York – and it doesn’t get much more depressing than the news that the legendary storefront will be closing its doors permanently this May.

West 48th Street Manny’s opened in 1935 and became a cornerstone of NYC’s famous "Music Row," serving such luminaries as Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, and U2.
    I bought much of my gear at Manny's when I lived in New York. Before the internet, to learn about the latest and greatest in music tech - you would go to Manny's. It was a place to meet many musicians too and a cornerstone of the NY music scene.

RIP Manny's

Re: Sign of the Times: Manny’s Music Shutting Down

I actually had a chance to go to Manny's in 1993 when I living in Broooklyn for a year. Sorry news indeed. I also remember thier ads in "Keyboard" magazine. I just remember being awestruck walking in there back then.

Yeah, they're one of the great music stores of all time... It's really a shame... They were in financial trouble back in 90s and at that time, Sam Ash I think took part ownership of the place... They have recently changed the store around, created a acoustic guitar section... But defiitely, I haven't seen it booming at any time I've been in the place...

What surprises me is that thy haven't been more aggressive becoming and online seller, like American Musical Supply, Music123, and Musician's Friend... I think with their name, they could have definitley become another big seller... But their web page leaves a lot to be desired, it doesn't list merchandise, doesn't let you buy... Maggio Music in Brooklyn, which is a little store, has a web page, you can buy stuff off them online and have been aggressive in the last 10 years in attacting business...

So, inasmuch as I'd hate for Mannys to close, I really wish they would have thought of alternative methods of staying around...

I was under the impression that they were bought out by Sam Ash several years ago.
    It's sad to see them close. I will not miss some of the salesmen.
    Serge

Things are changing so fast in all areas of life, it's hard to grasp, isn't it? I suppose it's probably true that if Manny's had kept more abreast of the times, maybe their doors would be staying open.

It's the age of the WalMarts of music - Sweetwater, Musician's Friend. Operations that don't advertise heavily like that and don't let customers order online - that's just not the formula for success nowadays, even without the recession/depression.

yikes - Every day something new to sing the blues about.

Randy

That is sad! Yet, it's another indication of where the bailout would be best utilized, in the hands of the consumer not those who greed up greed and take advantage of the taxpayer!

Eh, **** happens.
    Styxx

I've heard that East Cost Music in Danbury, CT may be headed in a similar direction probably for similar reasons. When you go in there, they don't have the air of a successful enterprise these days. They are a somewhat lower profile operation but have essentially served the same target market as Manny's for decades.

I haven't been in Manny's in about 40 years! I do remember the sales staff being kind of snotty to me as a teenager. I wonder whatever happened to the yellow guitar?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn View Post
    I was under the impression that they were bought out by Sam Ash several years ago.
    It's sad to see them close. I will not miss some of the salesmen.
    Serge
    I agree with you. I hate to see them go, but I have memories of rude salesmen.

I have the same memories of Ace music in North Miami. It was another great music store with some rude salesmen.

Go Back to forum