• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Hope of Spring

Share/Bookmark

The Hope of Spring

I'd be happy to hear your comments about this mix and how I can improve it. It's my 2nd piece using GPO and my first trying to employ a whole orchestra. Given that I know way more about building houses than writing for an orchestra, I don't think it turned out too badly, but I know it's not traditional. Thank you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=7410298

Re: The Hope of Spring

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I'd be happy to hear your comments about this mix and how I can improve it. It's my 2nd piece using GPO and my first trying to employ a whole orchestra. Given that I know way more about building houses than writing for an orchestra, I don't think it turned out too badly, but I know it's not traditional. Thank you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=7410298
    Hi Janet, this is a moving and well written piece with some good lyrical phrases.

The mix could benefit from some reverb though - but don't overdo this! At the moment, each section of the orchestra sounds very directional whereas in real life there would be more spatial overlap. Not quite sure why this is - but I think a little more reverb would help cure this.

The orchestration is very effective. The percussion seemed a little heavy in places but overall, it sounds like you're getting a good feel for the orchestral resources at your disposal.

An enjoyable contribution. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Graham

Janet

Randy gave you some excellent advice in the other area.

You are in the right room now!!

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Janet:

A very lovely piece and your orchestration shows
    promise. Now that you have added some more reverb,
    you might try to listen to each "instrument line" and
    check the dynamics of it. What I mean is, listen to
    each section and see if their entrances and exits are
    what a "real" section would sound like. A lot of the
    string entrances just "happen" without the softer effect
    of starting the bow in any direction. And the WWs and
    horns need that attention too. When a person plays a
    "wind" instrument, he has to start by directing a small
    amount of air into the instrument on most dynamic levels.
    If you want immediate forte attacks, that is something
    else, but normally a little "CC" action will make an instrument
    line sound more real.

Just a little hint to help your sound become more live.

Pretty soon, Janet, you will know more about orchestral writing
    and rendering than building a house........if you stay here long
    enough.......lol

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I like the idea of this piece. Nice piano, again.

I'm certainly not an expert, but aside from what GrahamKeitch has mentioned, to my ears it seems that the right channel strings (bass, cello, some viola) could be built up a bit more to help balance out your left channel strings. Also, the percussion is a bit heavy and it sounds like they were clipping had it not been for your limiter on your DAW, so you might want to tone those down.

Hi Janet, This is a lovely piece that conveys the title very nicely. I agree with the previous posters about the reverb and the percussion being a bit strong.
    Nice work, I hope you continue to develop this. John

Right on, Janet - Thanks for posting the song here in The Listening Room where it is Happening.

I responded to your earlier post of this in the Listening Area, hope some of my feedback was useful. I won't repeat that here since you've probably seen that.

But I'm happy to have another opportunity to say how much I like your feeling of Spring. I could feel it too. Really nice.

Randy

Oh my goodness! I'm not used to not getting email notifications to threads, so I had no idea you good people have been listening and commenting on this song. Thank you SO much! I have done a new remix and have addressed some of these issues. I realize now there are more issues to address, so I know this isn't done. Anyway, thank you so much everyone. I'll be back!

Very NICE Janet.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

New mix up as of March 23. I'm not sure if the reverb is better, but I'm not sure what else to do with it. I've added the bass back in, so it shouldn't sound so lop-sided anymore. Thanks again for all your encouragement!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast