• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My wedding commission

Share/Bookmark

My wedding commission

I'm glad that my creative (or at least semi-creative) juices appear to be flowing again. Thanks all for your encouraging comments on my last "get-me-back-in-the-saddle work.

I have been able to complete a small commission for a wedding of a friend of a friend of a friend. (Only 4 more separations and it could have been anyone in the world!) It's an arrangement of a song used in the services of the faith practiced by the bride and groom. The singer is a long-time friend of my wife - she sang at our wedding almost 10 years ago. This time, she cannot attend the wedding in question, but they still wanted to use her, hence the recording with vocals. She hasn't sung professionally for quite some time, so she was very nervous in the recording session, but I think she did a fine job.

Samples used: GPO and GAS Standard.

Here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/3cf5xoijvt

Re: My wedding commission

The singer has a pleasant voice and you did some good writing, Mr. Englisher.

It is necessary to copy and paste your link in order to make it work. You might try using the link tool.

Nice job.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    I'm glad that my creative (or at least semi-creative) juices appear to be flowing again. Thanks all for your encouraging comments on my last "get-me-back-in-the-saddle work.

I have been able to complete a small commission for a wedding of a friend of a friend of a friend. (Only 4 more separations and it could have been anyone in the world!) It's an arrangement of a song used in the services of the faith practiced by the bride and groom. The singer is a long-time friend of my wife - she sang at our wedding almost 10 years ago. This time, she cannot attend the wedding in question, but they still wanted to use her, hence the recording with vocals. She hasn't sung professionally for quite some time, so she was very nervous in the recording session, but I think she did a fine job.

Here it is:
    Top marks, Englishgent! The friend of a friend will be knocked out by this. The restrained yet powerful orchestration is a perfect enhancement to the beautiful piano accompaniament. This is a fine melody with lovely lyrics that will suit the occasion.

Fine work!

Regards,

Graham

Gent

The recording and mixing of the vocals in this is top notch.

A very nice piece that should work great at the wedding.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Congratulations E-Gent on a beautiful rendition. Nice piano, nice orchestration, nice vocals, nice mix ... the bride and groom will love it!

Regards,

Frank

Lovely piece, I liked it very much. It managed to avoid what I perceive as the biggest sin of such music: overly sentimental or saccharine sweet. It was pleasant to listen to.

Thumbs up on this one.

Larry: Glad you liked it. I'll tell the singer what you said - that will encourage her. Thanks for drawing my attention to the link - I don't know how that happened. I fixed it.

Graham: Thanks - I'm glad you think it will suit the occasion. Appreciate the compliment!

Ron: I always struggle with the "sound engineer" aspects, being very new to the world of DAWs etc, so I'm glad to hear that I'm getting at least somewhere near the mark. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Frank: Many thanks for the words of encouragement! I appreciate it.

HongKongCV: I'm with you on that one - I was trying to go for dignified and moving, not sickly sweet! I'm glad it seemed to work.

Hi, This was a nice surprise. We don't get too many opportunities to hear vocals here. This should work very well as intended. Your accompaniment and orchestration support and enhance the singers performance. Thanks for sharing this with us! John

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post

Here it is:
    Yes, Owen! She did a wonderful job!

Very Sweet and authentic!

I guess it's you playing the piano?

Fred

Lovely piece Mr Gent.

I really like the introduction of the brass just after half way through. The dynamics are really nice right through.

A very gentle and thoughtful piece and treatment.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast