• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere tested yet with “Nehalem” processor?

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere tested yet with “Nehalem” processor?

Anyone test Omnisphere yet with the new March 2009 Mac Pros?

Re: Omnisphere tested yet with “Nehalem” processor?

Mine will be here in a few weeks, but would also like to know.
    Mac OSX 6 / Logic 9 / Cubase 5 / Ableton / Omnisphere / Stylus Rmx / Trillion / Komplete / Groove Agent / Kontrol 49 / UC 33e / Euphonix MC Mix n Control

+1 on this. I just wish the new mac pros weren't so damned expensive!

Come on.... SOMEBODY must have tested this already...

There are rumors floating around that single-threaded plugins (omnisphere included?) are having problems on the Nehlam .. mac pros...

is it true?

Found this posting

"the Quad 2.93 is better for Logic...
    But if you have money for the Octo 2.93 will be better

2.26 Ghz are not good in the single threaded plugin.

The single threated plugin are:
    Omnisphere
    Trilogy or Trilian (that will be ready in May or June 2009)(I'm wait for Trilian that is why i stay on PPC)
    Stylus RMX
    all Native Instruments
    and all plugins that are select for live recording in Logic!
    (to use multithreads in Logic you need to share in the Aux/buss the instruments, but if you do that you will increase latency (because of PDC set to ALL... you cannot use Aux in Logic when PDC is set to off) when Live software monitiring is needed)

I have a test with Logic Space Designer on my (2005) G5 I get exactly the same power of a (2007) 2.66 Ghz Intel xeon in the single threaded...
    (that is why the 970 powerPC 64-bit RISC processor comes with altivec)

I just made a test
    on my Dual G5 I can run 20 tracks of certain (same) instrument patch in live mode with full power of the 2X2Ghz risc powerPC...
    in a 2007 Quad core 2.66 (not nehalem) I can run about 35 tracks that run the the same Logic instrument Patch!

So, belive me... the Ghz Speed in the Intel processor is VERY IMPORTANT!

2.93 is the top!
    2.93 is better for Logic! (Quad or Octo core is not so important.... the speed in single render is the primary requirement)

2.66 8 core should be good too.... but 2.26 Ghz is tooooo sòooow the single rendering will be very near to 1xG5 PPC 2 Ghz!"
    Mac OSX 6 / Logic 9 / Cubase 5 / Ableton / Omnisphere / Stylus Rmx / Trillion / Komplete / Groove Agent / Kontrol 49 / UC 33e / Euphonix MC Mix n Control

Eric

Is there any way you guys can do some testing for us?

Quote Originally Posted by progjm View Post
    Found this posting

"the Quad 2.93 is better for Logic...
    But if you have money for the Octo 2.93 will be better

2.26 Ghz are not good in the single threaded plugin."
    Yeah, I saw this too. It seem legit. So I'm leaning toward the 2.93 Quad.... but it doesn't really answer the question -- will omnisphere actually work on these new machines, or not.... I can totally see getting the thing up and running just realize that omnisphere doesn't like it and it doesn't work at all or works less efficiently than my 2006 Mac Pro....

I put my order on hold for that exact reason, I would rather buy the 1st gen then have problems with the new one

I have a 2.26 Oct that I'm getting software installed on now. I'll let you know when I have everything running.

The 2.66 machine wasn't an option for me. a 1400 dollar price difference!

-A

very cool, looking forward to it

Go Back to forum