• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM, gear, question

Share/Bookmark

RAM, gear, question

Thanks for the help and suggestions in this forum.

So I'm ready to buy Garritan, but I will have to upgrade my RAM to 4gb.

As for RAM, any suggestions? I have an HP Pavilion 2.2 ghz running windows XP. I'm interested in getting Kingston RAM. However, there is also their HyperX RAM which is more for gaming/high performance applications and has a heat spreader.

Do you know if this would work, if it would be better, or if I would need this to cool the system?

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

Leon

Re: RAM, gear, question

I would not spend my money on high cost gamer oriented RAM. I would find RAM compatible with your motherboard that has a good transfer rate. That should do the job just fine.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I have an 8-year old machine with 2 GB of ram, and I can use 9 GPO patches in a single Cubase project.... and that's WITH reverb. Afer that, it just won't let me add any more. (grin)

I guess my point is that if your machine is more modern and with 4 GB's of memory, it probably won't matter what kind it is.

Hello,

I did buy the "high cost gamer oriented RAM" for my MacBook Pro specifically because the latency is better. The machine runs better with HyperX ( a friend and I tested the difference between regular Kingston and HyperX). I bought 4GB and the difference in cost was about $5.
    I can't say for sure that you'll get similar results in an HP, but for what it's worth, I would probably get the HyperX.

Mark

Thanks, seems like there are some different opinions here.
    I'm eager to buy the extra RAM, just gets confusing.

I will check and see if the HyperX Kingston RAM is compatible with my system. Also, installing 4 GB on a PC running 32 bit OS, this would only be about 3.3 - 3.5 GB RAM so it gets tricky.

Does the heat spread make a difference?

Any more feedback on this would be appreciated.

To be honest, this is becoming a mountain when it is a molehill. Given that your laptop is a 2.2 Ghz machine and probably has an 800 or Mhz bus, the amount of benefit derived from any high speed RAM is going to be marginal at best. Specialty RAM brings benefit to applications that are moving data in and out of memory a great deal. Thus, extra heat is generated and a heat sink is required. This would be true for games but not for sample libraries.

Maybe look at it this way. There are thousands of users out there using `normal' RAM and are doing just fine. I'd just buy whatever RAM is certified for your Pavillion buy it and join the fun.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongCV View Post
    I have an 8-year old machine with 2 GB of ram, and I can use 9 GPO patches in a single Cubase project.... and that's WITH reverb. Afer that, it just won't let me add any more. (grin)

I guess my point is that if your machine is more modern and with 4 GB's of memory, it probably won't matter what kind it is.

Why wont it let you add anymore?! Reverb pluggins dont use up RAM so much as cpu usage. ANd an 8-year old machine? wow thats pretty old in the world of computers. ;p

Thanks for your replies. Kevin, thanks for the straightforwardness. I was kind of looking for that kind of reply because there's so much gear out there and I just want to start out simple.

Go Back to forum