• Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Vote in the Garritan Movie Music CHALLENGE #5: Video Clip from Cyrano de Bergerac

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Vote for Movie Music Challenge 5: Clip from Cyrano de Bergerac

Share/Bookmark

Vote for Movie Music Challenge 5: Clip from Cyrano de Bergerac

It's time to...

Vote in the Garritan Movie Music Challenge - CHALLENGE #5: Video Clip from Cyrano de Bergerac

There were 6 entries this time and the participants were asked to score music for the clip. They all are excellent!

The choices are:

Entry 1 - http://www.tylerrusco.com/moviemusic...ge5/entry1.wmv
    Entry 2 - http://www.tylerrusco.com/moviemusic...ge5/entry2.wmv
    Entry 3 - http://www.tylerrusco.com/moviemusic...ge5/entry3.wmv
    Entry 4 - http://www.tylerrusco.com/moviemusic...ge5/entry4.wmv
    Entry 5 - http://www.tylerrusco.com/moviemusic...ge5/entry5.wmv
    Entry 6 - http://www.tylerrusco.com/moviemusicchallenge5/entry6.wmv

This is the first time we used a video clip. Thanks to Karen Kramer for permission to use the clip in this contest.

The video clip is from the 1950 production of Cyrano de Bergerac, starring Jose Ferrer, directed by Michael Gordon, and produced by Stanley Kramer.
    Synopsis: Cyrano de Bergerac, the honorable and virtuous soldier-poet with the well recognized tragic flaw of his enormous nose, has just disrupted a play in the local theatre. The actor on stage is a decadent man and a womanizer who has eyes for Cyrano's love, Roxanne. Vicomte de Valvert, a noble in lieu with the partron of the actor, has decided to stand up against Cyrano for his disruption of the playhouse. After an exchange of words, the Vicomte accepts Cyrano's open challenge to a duel. Cyrano prepares himself, and adds a twist: He states he will recite a ballade, made up on the spot during the duel, and when he reaches the end of the refrain, he claims he will "thrust home!"
    Many thanks again to Bill (wrayer) for organizing this challenge. And a big thanks to those who participated in this round! It was a great idea to use a video clip and I hope we do many more of these.

This is a "one-vote-per-person" poll. We'll keep the voting open for about two weeks.

The winner will have their choice of a Steinway Basic or an upgrade to GPO 4th edition.

Enjoy listening and best of luck to the entrants!

Gary Garritan

Re: Vote for Movie Music Challenge 5: Clip from Cyrano de Bergerac

Excellent job everyone!!!

I was very impressed with how this challenge turned out! It was really a joy to select the clip and set the challenge. Best of luck to all of the entrants! Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the direction this competition is going.

Gary, thanks as well for the generous offer! Again, best of luck to everyone; there's an excellent prize at stake!

May God bless you all,

Tyler

EDIT: Need to add in a few thank-yous!

A big thanks to Randy as well. Randy was a big player in discussion regarding the direction of the competition and helped me with figuring out a standard video format that more or less was implemented in this round due to late notice .

Another thanks to Karen Kramer as well. She was a joy to work with and very, very willing to help us out.

And of course a big thank you to Bill (wrayer) for creating this competition and administrating it. Thank you for helping to smooth out all of the wrinkles that came up during this important round, and for being very willing to take input on your competition. I hope it continues even more strongly in future rounds.

AH This is fun to finally see the "Cyrano" clips up. I just now had a great time watching them all. - I notice some added extra footage - title cards--One looks like it's ready for display on a web page perhaps?--

But there was one glitch--#6 is posted as a .mov file while the rest are .wmv files. I don't get what the problem is, but even though I have the latest Quick Time player on my Vista laptop, it never works when I click on a link like that. A blank unplayable box comes up.

So, I opened my Quick Time player directly, then after getting the URL for entry #6 (NOT by copying it directly from the post--the URL is incomplete there--but rather by clicking and getting the URL from the browser window)--then I opened the file directly by "Open Url" in QT. Kind of a hassle - If others have similar problems, it could discourage them from watching. - Basically I'm wondering why the one file was in a different format---guess it arrived that way and was just uploaded as it came in.

Well, having the tech things standardized for the next round will be helpful. Different resolutions, different screen sizes - it's a slight mar on this round, but still, all in all, really fun to see these and I enjoyed them all.

Randy

This was great! I hope there are more of these (with clips) - I would love to participate! Well done, all!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I had the entrant resend their file as a .wmv format. I send Gary a PM to change the link as well. For now, both the .mov and .wmv format are posted for entry 6 until the link is changed.

There was no glitch involved, .wmv is standard for Windows, .mov is standard for Mac. We had 5 entries from Windows users and 1 entry from a Mac user.

A file standard would be great, however, I would vote against .wmv - it is a very inefficient file format and doesn't encode all that well.

I vote for MPEG (.mpg or .mpeg) - It is compatible with both, and was an internet standard before flash based video. Most of my video work on my Windows XP machine (2002 - 2007) involved .mpeg or .avi. This is an entirely different format than .mp4 to the best of my knowledge. My old computer could play .mpg out of the box in 2002, while I had to download a codec for .mp4 which arrived much later.

Windows and Mac can natively play .mpg files without additional codecs. If your computer cannot play it, you need to think about upgrading from pre windows 95 .

I would vote this as a file standard - either that or a divx based .avi file, but that presents more problems.

Tyler

Hiya, Tyler - You've been a busy guy with this!

I get it, that you uploaded files as they were given to you. I just thought maybe they were going to be standardized in the posting here. That's cool that you're fixing up a .wmv version of #6, that'll help some people out.

There was a glitch for me though - I've tried over and over to make Quick Time work properly on this laptop, but nothing washes. I described in my earlier post the steps I had to take to make that .mov file work since clicking on it only brings up a blank box. Maybe you know what I could do to fix that--? I have the latest Quick Time player--I even paid for the "pro" version in one of my attempts to make it more efficient.

Is using Flash out of the question? It's the standard for videos on You Tube and I think other places.

My problem with mpegs is that when I move a video project into Premiere, which is what I like to do, I can't find a choice for exporting in mpeg which isn't Huge - it's like the only choices are gigantic DVD quality mpegs. Maybe I'm missing something?

Randy

That's really interesting. I tried watching entry6 on one of the PPC based mac pros at college, a different Mac than the one I use at home, and it worked fine, also with the latest version of Quicktime Pro. I haven't had a chance to try it on a Windows computer yet though.

That's my fault on the format. I'm talking about MPEG-1 which is very outdated at this point. It's been a while since I've done Windows video. Is there a major problem with MPEG-4? It's meant to be a universal format, the successor of MPEG-1 - it's neither Mac nor Windows specific, and most should be able to handle an .mp4 at this point. Can you encode in that? What export options do you have?

I'll explore more options and get back to you.

Tyler

what's with all this MAAaaaac stuff anyway--Hehe--kidding, - sorta.

Tyler, let me poke around in what I have here and see if there's an mpeg format that will work for this. I do Flash all the time. wmv sometimes, .avi for bigger video projects, so I'm just not used to dealing with mpegs. Maybe there's something I've overlooked. I'll take a look and let you know what I find here on this thread.

Randy

Hehe those crazy Mac people...

I didn't think it would be this hard to find a cross-platform format.

Not everyone can encode in flash, Mac users would have to buy a $50 plugin just to encode in WMV, or use a low-quality free converter (not that great of an option), and .avi would be too large, as you said.

Or perhaps Windows users can just encode in .wmv and Mac users can encode in .mp4, or a more familiar .mov format?

The reason there was difficulty with entry #6 was perhaps the encoding settings. A .mov file is not a format in and of itself, it is a container. You can have a sound file that reads as .mov, for example. Perhaps more familiar encoding settings would do the trick for .mov users. We're really not going too crazy on the formats here, .wmv and .mov are pretty standard stuff.

Sorry to be a link stickler, Gary.

There's still one more link to change, with two parts. The one in your post is okay, but the one in the poll up above still reads .mov and sends you to the old .mov entry for #6. Both the displayed link and the actual link need to be changed for that one.

Sorry again...hate to be a stickler...

Go Back to forum