• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tango Romantica

Tango Romantica

Once again your comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Tango Romantica

mix: Dan Kury

Re: Tango Romantica

A great piece and well arranged, Guy.

To my ears the piano is a little bit too bright and the reverb could be a little quieter. The strings are very well balanced and panned, but I can not precisely locate the harp and wood-instruments... . But it`s just me.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Budleigh Salterton

Excellent piece - well done.

It is remixed.

Much better, Guy.

Am I right when I say there is no dry singal in the mix, is Altiverb inserted in all subgroups too?

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Gunther,
    unless you have Altiverb and have experimented with it in your own situation, the discussion of dry/wet is old terminology.

There is a wet/dry mix knob for those times when you do want to use Altiverb in the traditional old fashioned way of "adding" reverb to a sound, as opposed to running the sound "through" Altiverb. There are speakers in the GUI that when used, re-calculate the dimensional space (stage) and allows the user to place the given sound in a very specific place, from left to right and front to back. It is the placement of the speakers (sound) that determines the calculation of wet/dry/phase/delay etc. Typically, if the Altiverb is being used for a "concert hall" recording, the dry/wet mix knob is intentionally set to full wet.

The four basic orchestral groups have their own Altiverb, but Altiverb is not inserted in the group masters. The group masters feed separate aux tracks (faders, not audio tracks) where the different Altiverb IR's are inserted, thus allowing the group masters to be automated with sudden volume changes, but the reverb is left alone to breath naturally, unaffected by the group master fader. Some instruments have their own Altiverb like piano. And, since I used a separate Altiverb for just the piano, I did use the dry/wet mix knob. For this Tango recording of Guy's, I wanted to drift away from a concert hall setting and use a recording studio setting. It is in these situations where we can put aside the "proper" Altiverb treatment of the instruments like we do when we are attempting to insinuate that the recording was made in an actual concert hall.
    Thanks for your comments.

If you download and install Quicktime, you can see this video tutorial of how I set up one of Guys recordings. I explain my routing like I am talking about here.

Wow Dan, this video is fascinating. It also gave me a better close up at what you do, despite we already talk regularly. I must admit that the snippet you chose on this video, what you did with the automation gave the ending of the phrase just the right expression, cool example.

It is a very delicate thing when I mix music that has already been put together so beautifully to begin with.

This little program (screenflow 99 bucks) that records the computer screen and STEREO audio is really awesome.

Thank you Guy!
    It sure has been a pleasure working with your beautiful music.

Fascinating indeed, and very enlightening!

Dan, thank you very much for posting this. Its great see and hear you discuss your process. I'd love to see more (I could watch all night).

btw, it looks like you're using some flavor of DP6 with success? Seems almost everyone else (at least on motunicornation) is only tiptoeing with it and still relying on V5.13.

People talk about switching between DP 5.13 and 6.02 although I'm not quite sure how they are doing it. I'm not sure if I can post links here but here is the thread in case you're interested.

[EDIT] Oh, and since posting the link worked, here's a link for the rest of you where Dan discusses further about his mixing process.

Guy, I'm sucker for a good tango. Nice work as always.

Dan-- please post more videos of your process. I would love to absorb more of you insights.

Go Back to forum