• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: weird out of tune playback, Fin 2009b mac

Share/Bookmark

weird out of tune playback, Fin 2009b mac

Hi, Any suggestions as to why the playback of the included Garritan Jazz insts
    will suddenly go completely weird, beyond simply out of tune? I've deleted some files and gone back to earlier copies. I really like the playback and cd burning capabilities for demoing, but it's a little(!) upsetting when it goes bonkers! It's like the worst Salvation Army band on it's worst day ever!! No offence meant... Thanks for any help, Jim D.

Re: weird out of tune playback, Fin 2009b mac

I've had a Garritan violin go out of tune a couple times in Finale. Just closing and reopening the document (i.e. reloading the samples) solved it, though.

The only time I've experienced anything like this is when my keyboard's pitch wheel was sending pitch wheel data randomly. I finally had to disable the pitch wheel which I never used anyway.

Steve Winkler

Hi, Jim - Some MIDI data is definitely accidentally creeping into your file. Maybe from an erratic Pitch Wheel as Steve suggested. Or Var 1 or 2 is somehow getting in there.

I've never had need to use it, but everyone seems to swear by MIDI Ox which can diagnose what is going on in your MIDI set up - it should show you how the errant signals are getting in there. Here's the link which explains, and where you can get the free download:

http://www.sonicspot.com/midiox/midiox.html

Steve--That's a drag about your Pitch Wheel. I understand you're saying you never used it--but it is an extremely useful thing to have. It's a key ingredient in a more natural emulation of many instruments, Violin, Trombone, all Brass. Since you've had to disable yours--try exploring with drawing in some pitch wheel data in TEENY amounts, and see if you can tame it. Make that Sax melt more, Bone slide more etc.

Randy

The way I troubleshot the problem was simply arm midi track in Sonar to record and let it record for a few seconds. I didn't have to touch the keyboard at all. When I stopped recording, I could see tons of pitch wheel data in the track so I knew where the problem was.

I probably should replace the keyboard actually. It's a keyboard with a USB interface which went out some time ago as well.

Steve Winkler

Thanks for the responses! In the Aria Player, I only find a Mod Wheel, and the Var1 and 2 referred to. But no changes to them fixes this one file I have saved. It's one I downloaded as an example of what it sounds like when one goes "out". None of my files that I'm working on at the moment are acting up, but maybe I can upload a short example next time it happens. Anyway, I'm really happy with the Garritan Jazz and Woodwind sounds.

Hi, Jim - Changing controls in Aria or any sample player doesn't become part of your project. You have to investigate the MIDI data actually in your files to see what's going on--There has to be something there that shouldn't be.

I don't know what this means, "...It's one I downloaded as an example of what it sounds like when one goes "out"..."

Randy

I was trying to help someone at the Finale Forum who was having similar playback problems that I had on a couple of Files that I haven't worked on in a while. I saved their example, posted there, and was trying to get it to playback properly, to no avail. I think it only happens on files started in an earlier version of Finale, and opened in 2009b. I will download the midi program you mentioned and try that.

Jim

When I used Sibelius and had a big project going on that used a lot of CPU, the instruments would go out of tune from time to time.

Closing and reopening would solve it for a while, but the solution was to get a faster computer with more ram. You didn't say what your computer was nor how big was the project. Could that be your problem?

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Let's not jump to conclusions. Buy a whole new computer just to fix a small problem like this? It seems likely that there was some small corruption or bad setting in your old computer that caused the detuning problems, a corruption a new computer would not have. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with processing power or memory. I get this problem with only four instruments loaded in Finale, and I have 4 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum