• Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Vote for Orchestral Challenge #20

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: It's time to vote for Orchestral Challenge #20!

Share/Bookmark

It's time to vote for Orchestral Challenge #20!

It's time to vote for Orchestral Challenge #20!

As the winner of Challenge #19, Randy (rbowser) created the motif for this round.

Randy suggested the Motif may be developed into a Theme, or left as a fragment (ala the opening of Beethoven's 5th) and the entrant was free to use the Motif in any way one chose, as long as it is prominently recognizable throughout the arrangement. Six versions of the motif were provided.

There were 7 entries submitted for this challenge, so the choices are:

Entry 1 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry01_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 2 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry02_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 3 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry03_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 4 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry04_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 5 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry05_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 6 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry06_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 7 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry07_Chall20.mp3
    Entry 8 - http://www.wizardwalk.com/duel2/Entry08_Chall20.mp3

Many thanks to Randy for providing the motif for this challenge episode. Thanks once more once more to St. Sean for organizing and making this happen. And a big thank you to the participants - you have all done an excellent job with the motif.

This is a "one-vote-per-person" poll. We'll keep the voting open for about two weeks.

Have fun and good luck!

Gary Garritan

[edit: reposted with correct entries. Sorry RichR your post was lost in the update.]

Re: It's time to vote for Orchestral Challenge #20!

Thank you so much Gary!!

I'm so sorry for messing up the entries, my fault your post was lost Rich.

Many thanks to all participants and to Randy for the theme!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It's okay, you do a wonderful service. My post was just pointing out how good these challenges sound and that it is nice to see quite a few entries this time.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

oops---Why are we revealing the name of one of the entrants?---The concept is for these to be posted anonymously.

Randy

oops---Why are we revealing the name of one of the entrants?---
    What on earth are you talking about? I had made a comment last night about the number of entrants and the quality of the work. The misplaced post was about that. I think that I was posting it at the exact same time that Gary was correcting the entries list.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

---? Am I missing something? - A little earlier, Sean posted the apology for temporarily misplacing your entry, Rich. So I asked why we're talking about the name of any of the entrants - Am I getting this mixed up?

Randy

Was it ever said -- or implied -- that the missing entry was RichR's? I don't recall reading that.

[comments about the pieces deleted for now]

Matthew

Hi, Matthew and all.

Brief messages online can be unintentionally cryptic. I thought when Sean said, "...my fault your post was lost Rich..." that he was saying that he had misplaced Rich's entry.

He earlier explained that one entry was accidentally left off of the original list - So, I thought he was more than implying that it was Rich's entry that had been temporarily lost, I thought he was straight-forwardly explaining that it was Rich's. A post was lost - Then put up - and he apologized for a lost post--I didn't think there was any other way to read that.

My bad I guess! Nobody else seems to have read that the way I did. Oh well!

Risking being a pest - We decided quite awhile ago that it's good when we keep our discussion about the way we voted and why until after the contest ends. Swaying other people's reactions is avoided that way. Shouldn't we still stick with that?

Much more importantly - I want to re-post my initial reaction to these wonderful pieces. I wrote this yesterday on the original thread where the motif was posted.

"---I found myself unexpectedly very moved just now when I listened to these seven pieces. The time and effort involved of course is much appreciated, but the way in which each entry finds its own unique way of stating the theme of "Hope"---the cumulative effect of hearing them all was so quietly--spectacular.

This is the third time I've heard the results of musicians here at the Forum doing marvelous things with the handful of notes I throw out at them in Sean's Challenge series. But this time - with that brief little Carillon-like motif I posted, everyone who entered had a chance to do more composing than usual - and every single person who entered came through with flying colors in developing something which is really Theirs, and all so sweet sounding in their individual way.

It's been said before--But I have to say here at the start, you are all winners--big time.

These Challenge events aren't conducted with tight reins, judging entries on a set of qualifications, doling out penalties for guidelines broken - No. I leave it to everyone who listens to decide what's important to them.

In the header of this thread the special guidelines for this Challenge 20 were outlined. Please read them and decide if you feel those guidelines were followed to your satisfaction, and how much you want your voting decision to be based on how many guidelines were followed or broken.

I do want to point out that some of the files have extra time on the MP3s after the music ends. It makes some of the pieces look longer than they really are. That was just an editing error on the part of people entering.

In particular, the last piece list listed in Windows Media Player at being 3:02, but it isn't. It is 1:56 according to the timeline in my Sonar program. So take note of that.

Do look at the guidelines--listeners decide what is or isn't important to them.

Excellent work everyone---You've given us all a wonderful gift with these labors of love."

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Risking being a pest - We decided quite awhile ago that it's good when we keep our discussion about the way we voted and why until after the contest ends. Swaying other people's reactions is avoided that way. Shouldn't we still stick with that?
    Sorry -- I'm new to this, so I didn't realize that. I've deleted my comments.

Matthew

Hey, thanks, Matthew - Please don't feel badly. It's great that you're here joining in. I should have noticed that you're new--AND it's a good reminder that we could explain that sort of thing at the start when a Challenge is set up. We'll try to remember to do that!

Meanwhile--Isn't this just too cool, how these folks put all the time and talent into the pieces posted here? It's just super.

Do a piece for the next round, Matthew!

Randy

Go Back to forum