• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some hardware advice needed

Share/Bookmark

Some hardware advice needed

Please, don't fight over it. I just want you to comment on this and only this. Next week I will re-configure my computersystem to get all the benefits from the 64-bits environment we have today.

Present configuration
    Hardware:
    ASUS P4W DH Deluxe motherboard - 8Gb maximum
    Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz
    4 Gb RAM DDR2
    2 HD's internal, each 320 Gb - SATA
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (with a beta 64bits driver, ahum?!?!?)
    Samsung 19" SyncMaster 912 N screen
    GeForce 7300 GT video card
    Software:
    Windows XP64
    Overture
    GPO
    Garritan Steinway
    Garritan Stradivari
    Sonar 5 Producer
    Adobe Audition

Future configuration
    Hardware:
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe 16 Gb ready mobo or should I just add more RAM to my older motherboard?
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3.x or stick to that 2.4 Ghz
    at least 8 Gb DDR2 RAM
    the same HD's SATA
    Samsung 24" wide screen, 2443BW with pivot modus (finally the whole score on one page!)
    the same videocard GeForce 7300 GT (I think it can handle the new monitor)

--- and here it comes ----
    E-Mu 1212M or
    M-Audio 192 or
    E-Mu 1616M PCI

as a successor of the Audiophile 2496 - which one is the better one?

--------------------------
    Software:
    all mentioned above, except
    I may switch over to Windows 7 (we'll see how it works, later this year)
    Sonar 8.x.x - the latest version
    AltiVerb (not that XX or XL version, just that plain stuff)

Does it look good to you (Dan Kury - DPDAN - please comment on this)?

Raymond

Re: Some hardware advice needed

Hello Raymond,
    It is an interesting time for purchasing motherboards, at least to me. The P5Q is a great board, though I would go with the Deluxe to coax as much front side bus speed from the system as possible. The P45 chipset is new and for the audio world still unproven. I don't have time to be on the bleeding edge that sometimes requires a revamp (for instance when a UAD card is not compatible with a south bridge chipset) so I would be in wait and see mode for awhile based on that.

Overall the board is a great board. I don't like the fact it has only one firewire port. Perhaps there is a connector on the board for a second port that is front mounted, I don't know. That being said, a front mounted firewire port is not useful to me. (Yes, that is a nit.) The external eSata connector is nice.

With Nehelam just around the corner and USB 3 coming later this year I don't know if I would invest in a motherboard right now, just because I would want to upgrade later. Then again, that tech will be pricey well into 2010.

One question. Are you finding yourself limited by the RAM you have today? I am assuming you have 4 gig of RAM. If you are bumping your head on the RAM ceiling a bit, but you don't generally run huge projects then an additional 4 gig of RAM might be all you need. If you run large projects then getting the extra CPU Ghz and surrounding architecture will certainly be a help. I'm on a 2.4 Ghz iMac these days, but I run Altiverb on 16 tracks no problem. I start bouncing tracks beyond that (or freezing them) but I don't mind the track management. Altiverb is absolutely great, BTW.

A somewhat rambling post, but hopefully it is helpful. Bottom line, the P5Q Deluxe is a great board.

-Kevin

P.S. I know you posted DDR2, but wanted to re-affirm that DDR3 is not money well spent. The delta on performance is nothing close to justifying the cost of DDR3.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Raymond,

With the Garritan libraries you have listed, the current 4 GB of RAM you have should be sufficient with the x64. The cheapest upgrade would be to bump this up to 8 GB DDR2 memory which is quite cheap now.

I wouldn't bother upgrading any other components except the soundcard at this time. The best bet for more performance is to move up to the Core i7. Wait until later this year to do this when the 32 nm processors come out.

I'm using an EMU 1212M card now and the x64 drivers work fine. You may also want to check out the Echo Gina 3G card which is a PCI card.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Raymond,

With the Garritan libraries you have listed, the current 4 GB of RAM you have should be sufficient with the x64. The cheapest upgrade would be to bump this up to 8 GB DDR2 memory which is quite cheap now.

I wouldn't bother upgrading any other components except the soundcard at this time. The best bet for more performance is to move up to the Core i7. Wait until later this year to do this when the 32 nm processors come out.

I'm using an EMU 1212M card now and the x64 drivers work fine. You may also want to check out the Echo Gina 3G card which is a PCI card.

Jim
    I totally agree, but will add that it will be very expensive when it first comes out so unless you want to pay a high premium this will be a mid to late 2010 purchase.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

The Emu with the "M" at the end has very good microphone pre-amplifiers, i have read. If you will microphones, it can be a good choice.

I have the 192 card and have found it to be very stable. How many outputs will you require?
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Go Back to forum