• Register
  • Help

Topic: Automated-slideshow-opera-movie-thingie

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Automated-slideshow-opera-movie-thingie

My dearest forum members,

Being somewhat of a musical junky it’s perceived natural for me to take every chance offered to integrate music into my life. Therefore I have embarked on a project which in the end will be the greatest musical achievement in my life so far. What kind of project, you may ask then? Well, during the second and third year of Swedish gymnasium education every student has to take a course in which the goal is to plan, record and present a project. The subject of the project is based on the criterions of the education (in my case being civics and humanities). Although being relevant, the subject is not the centre of attention, instead the process of the project is. The course is really about setting up a goal, plan how to reach it and then present it in a professional manner. Therefore the compatibility of the subject in relation to the education is not that strict. Thus, I have been blessed by my mentor (who also happens to be a trumpet player) to make a project relying on a massive musical foundation. In other words… I’M WRITING AN OPERA! Yaay!

I’ve been having thoughts about a project like this for some time now and finally I get a chance to have a go at it. The big challenge is to pull it of with the recourses I have at my disposal. Civics is not exactly a mustering point for opera singers and librettists. But I have already managed to recruit the most wonderful soprano as my prima donna. I’m not planning a very big production so my goal now is to just get a male singer (most preferably a tenor) and maybe scratch up some friends for a small choir. But who knows how big it’ll turn out in the end, guess it depends on the presence of opera singers in my vicinity.

Furthermore I’m not going for a stage performance, I guess that it would be difficult to, you know, summon an orchestra and stuff. To bad perhaps, but I have to be realistic. So my current plan is to write the music with GPO, have the singers learn the stuff and then recording them singing to the playback. Then do some mixing and in the end having an GPO-opera. But I’m not settling with just the audio, furthermore I plan to have the whole thing photographed, picture by picture. So when finished one has a kind of “automated-slideshow-opera-movie-thingie. This way I still can offer some visual stimulation and still avoid the extra complications a live performance offer.

But to get to the core of this post. I will need help with this. Firstly, what do you think of my plans so far? And secondly I would like to have someone, preferably with experience in writing operas and such, to act as an unofficial musical mentor. Someone I can on a regular basis ask questions to and show musical ideas etc. I’m going to write a classic opera buffa styled opera so knowledge in that area would also be appreciated. I do not expect you all to flock to my help but any support with the project would be much appreciated.

Having said that I move on to the project itself. It will be in Swedish, simply because I live in Sweden . It will have to be related to my education in some way so therefore I’ve chosen that the story to take place during the time of the French revolution, in that way I can squeeze in things like the political and social climate (things like the antagonism between social classes and ideologies etc). But other than this…, I have no more. Simply put, I need a libretto. Anyone who don’t feel like being my shoulder to cry on could still help by helping my creating a story for my opera.

The only guidelines are:
    * there’s only two parts, a male and female.
    * It’s opera buffa, so I guess it should be buffish…
    * The French revolution is the setting and the things about politics etc should have some part in the story.
    * I think there should be a baroness (I mean, you got to have a baroness)
    * something more but I forgot.

So now, with this wall of text laid of in front of you I leave you to do whatever you wish to it, climb it, ignore it, steal it and publish it as your own, hack it and insert the phrase “I fart in your general direction” everywhere or simply read it. You’re free to choose.

PS. Kudos to me for my loooOOOoongest post ever
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Re: Automated-slideshow-opera-movie-thingie

C'mon Northernsounds, don't let me down on this one
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Danial,

I'll happily act as your mentor if you like. I have written a full-length opera and many choral and solo vocal works, several with orchestra.

I am a GPO user and professor and am currently teaching orchestration to several people via email, so I am well set up for this sort of thing.

Email me at td@quorndon.com. I need no fee.

Terry Dwyer

Excellent! I'm glad "Poolman" Professor Dwyer has stepped up to the bat for you, Felixissimo. It took awhile for you to get a response, because I think the rest of us were finding your described project and needs to be just a bit overwhelming!

Hope it all goes well!

Randy

Looks great, keep us informed please and all success.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    Danial,

I'll happily act as your mentor if you like. I have written a full-length opera and many choral and solo vocal works, several with orchestra.

I am a GPO user and professor and am currently teaching orchestration to several people via email, so I am well set up for this sort of thing.

Email me at td@quorndon.com. I need no fee.

Terry Dwyer
    Words can not describe my gratitude! Thank you very much. I'll send you an email a soon as I can.
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Looks great, keep us informed please and all success.
    Will do! I have a blog, but it's in swedish so it'll do you no good
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Felixissimo View Post
    Will do! I have a blog, but it's in swedish so it'll do you no good
    Once, I had that old swedish homecomputer that famous ABC80, with a manual in swedish. I never could read it to the full extend, but understood quite a lot of words. So, your blog shouldn't be a "handicap" to me. I can always learn reading your language, why not?

Raymond

Hey, Felixissimo - We could try using Google's translation service to read your Swedish blog. And some of us may have translation software also - It may be worth posting the URL of your blog so we could try!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hey, Felixissimo - We could try using Google's translation service to read your Swedish blog. And some of us may have translation software also - It may be worth posting the URL of your blog so we could try!

Randy
    Good idea, I tried it out and it worked pretty well (although I had quite a few laughs )

http://buffabuffa.blogspot.com/
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Go Back to forum