• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midsummer Night's Dream - KH Diamond

Share/Bookmark

Midsummer Night's Dream - KH Diamond

A friend of mine and I recently went to Disney Hall to hear the LA Phil. On the program was Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream. About 20 seconds into the Overture, my friend whispered to me "I bet your library can't do THAT kind of string passage..." So feeling challenged, I decided to do a quick mockup yesterday. It's not yet done, but it shows what I think is a pretty close replica. I might do the rest of the piece, but that's almost too easy. The challenging part was getting the really light, yet quite distinctly staccato stuff in the beginning. So I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/midsummer01.mp3

And 2 more that show the violins lighter and more "airy" and connected. The point is that you have complete control and can basically get anything you want:

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/midsummer02.mp3

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/midsummer03.mp3
    Last edited by KirkHunter; 03-21-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: adding cues

Re: Midsummer Night's Dream - KH Diamond

Very coool, Kirk!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

that sounds very good Kirk... I think, if I may make a suggestion, which might help sales, it might be a good idea posting flash tutorials on your site on how to make the best use of articulations and effects to generate the particular performance, using musical examples just like this.... For instance, I still get better legato from legato live than I can get from tvec.. I downloaded the demo strings that you made available a while back... Now I'm willing to concede that I may be a bit of a dummy understanding how to do this with tvec, but I bet you I have company...

If there were flash tutorials that just tracked the screen with narrantion on what to do for various musical examples, and maybe views of piano roll as to how the notes can be edited to obtain, any of the articulations better, this may cause people like me to say "that's how it's done, let me get that tvec download of whatever"... Anyway, just a thought...

For the record, I love the Emerald library I have and when I compare the strings to others, they just sound better and more realistic...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro View Post
    that sounds very good Kirk... I think, if I may make a suggestion, which might help sales, it might be a good idea posting flash tutorials on your site on how to make the best use of articulations and effects to generate the particular performance, using musical examples just like this.... For instance, I still get better legato from legato live than I can get from tvec.. I downloaded the demo strings that you made available a while back... Now I'm willing to concede that I may be a bit of a dummy understanding how to do this with tvec, but I bet you I have company...

If there were flash tutorials that just tracked the screen with narrantion on what to do for various musical examples, and maybe views of piano roll as to how the notes can be edited to obtain, any of the articulations better, this may cause people like me to say "that's how it's done, let me get that tvec download of whatever"... Anyway, just a thought...

For the record, I love the Emerald library I have and when I compare the strings to others, they just sound better and more realistic...
    Actually, we are planning some flash tutorials now that TVEC is essentially complete. We are also doing some implementation with Sibelius to interpret its functions. And FYI, if you like the strings in Emerald, you would like the ones in Ruby even more.

This sounds really great to me, I will also really like tutorial or only video showing how you achieve playing types or effects...

Thanks.

Those strings sound very good Kirk. I've always wanted to hear samples do this.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Those strings sound very good Kirk. I've always wanted to hear samples do this.

Marko
    Me too. Besides having the challenge as described above, I have had several times where I have wanted to do cues that have the sound of a million "creepy" rats or insects moving in for their nighttime prowl.

Quote Originally Posted by labou View Post
    This sounds really great to me, I will also really like tutorial or only video showing how you achieve playing types or effects...

Thanks.
    Congrats Kirk, this is indeed great sounding, and it shows Diamond's potential in the "delicate" area.

And I do second labou's request : it would be very helpful to know which patches were used, how it was sequenced, which controllers were involved....
    And for Diamond users, the midifile to study would be most welcome too !

You should start a new section on your website or on this forum called "Challenge Kirk", so we could all see the potential of the Diamond libraries and you using it in all it's glory of course with video, patches and midi file used

Joke apart I honestly think it could be a really great practical academic way of learning how to achieve specific orchestral effects while being really great advertisment for your library. This kind of stuff is honestly really rare and is much needed... The only book so far I found is The Guide to Midi Orchestration by Paul Gilbreath, it is really good, but do not cover detail like this probably because it isn't specific to one library.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by labou View Post
    You should start a new section on your website or on this forum called "Challenge Kirk", so we could all see the potential of the Diamond libraries and you using it in all it's glory of course with video, patches and midi file used

Joke apart I honestly think it could be a really great practical academic way of learning how to achieve specific orchestral effects while being really great advertisment for your library. This kind of stuff is honestly really rare and is much needed... The only book so far I found is The Guide to Midi Orchestration by Paul Gilbreath, it is really good, but do not cover detail like this probably because it isn't specific to one library.

Thanks.
    Not a bad idea at all. With regard to the challenge, there would have to be a few requirements, such as providing me with an audio file where I can hear the original, and a score via pdf or something like that (preferably in C 'cuz I tangle with non-C clefs).

Go Back to forum