• Register
  • Help

Topic: need some advice

need some advice

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, lookin for a little bit of advice.

I've just returned to composing after a very long break. About 15 years ago, when this type of software was pretty much spankin new I did quite a bit of composing. I wound up losing my software, and gave it up for quite a while.

Anyways, I'm back on the scene, and I'm using Finale PrintMusic2006(picked it up a few years ago and just couldnt get any music I liked out at that point.) I don't yet have GPO, I'm considering purchasing it, but honestly it's probably out of my budget as there are other things I should be spending money instead. I'm really passionate about a few pieces that I'm working on though(favorite right now is a woodwind quartet.)

So I'm using the glorious general midi sounds right now, and I have a few questions I could use some help on.

1. Is GPO even usable with finale 2006?
    2. What exactly would the process be of doing so? I am a bit fuzzy on how this software works. I get the impression that you use a different player for GPO than your notation software.

I guess I'll start with that....thanks in advance for any help.

NW Illinois

Re: need some advice

Hi Buck,

I would recommend that you upgrade to Finale 2009, the full version. There have been many improvements since 2006 and the current version of Finale comes with a group of "Garritan instruments for FInale". Which is a good core group of instruments. You can create mp3's right from Finale.

If you decide you want more control over your recordings, then you can invest in a sequencer where you can tweak your performance. BUt I would think that a simple upgrade to Finale 2009 would give you the most bang for your "Buck".

Go Back to forum