• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Radio / CD ready mix from home possible?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Radio / CD ready mix from home possible?

Do you guys think it is possible to produce a cd/radio ready mix from our home studios? There are so many studios offering to master your tracks I\'m wondering what I\'ll be missing if I do it all from home and not take my tracks to a \"real\" studio for final mixdown. I always use my favorite bands cd\'s as a comparision to my mixes and lately everything \"seems\" to be comparable. (Loudness, punchiness, etc.) Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Re: OT: Radio / CD ready mix from home possible?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Munsie:
    Do you guys think it is possible to produce a cd/radio ready mix from our home studios? There are so many studios offering to master your tracks I\'m wondering what I\'ll be missing if I do it all from home and not take my tracks to a \"real\" studio for final mixdown. I always use my favorite bands cd\'s as a comparision to my mixes and lately everything \"seems\" to be comparable. (Loudness, punchiness, etc.) Thank you for your thoughts on this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With skill, experience, a room with good acoustics if your are tracking some live acoustic instruments, and quality equipment and software, definitely!

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:

If you have proper skills, experience, a room with good acoustics if your are tracking some live acoustic instruments, and quality equipment and software, definitely!

Kip

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not mean to post three times. I was attempting to edit my first reply, and this thing got posted three times.

Kip

Hi Kip!

Thanks for your comments. I was thinking, since everything is digital, I couldn\'t see how things would \"sound\" better in a real studio, but I may hire a sound engineer to visit the home studio and give me some final mix down tips. I\'m now looking into some analog/tape plug ins to see what they can do for final mixes.

Hi Munsie,

Great mastered audio music starts with good front end tracking. The better quality you can do on front end tracking, the less you need to do on final mastering.

Various mastering plug-ins on your final stereo tracks, such as tape saturation effects, multiband compression, eq, limiting, etc., can add that finishing touch and sparkle to your mix when used properly, but can destroy a mix if over-used and incorrectly applied. Some people are in the habit of automatically slapping on the same set of plug-ins on all of their final stereo track mixes for final mastering. Personally, I do not recommend developing this habit. Every mix is different and you should always rely on your ears and apply effects only when they are truly helpful. The less processing you can get by with, the better your final mastered mix will sound. \"Less is always more,\" regarding the amount of effects processing, and also the number of instruments and tracks in a mix. Just like a dash of salt can improve the taste of food, too much salt can make it uneatable.

Learning by experimenting with your mixes and comparing your mastered music with professionally mastered CD\'s is the best method for learning the art of mixing and mastering.

Kip

Hi Kip!

Thank you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated. I agree that the better the source material the less post mixing/effects you will need to do, especially in a pure 100% digital domain. The only thing I\'m really having to \"post add\" is compression. Also, one thing I\'ve noticed about my mixes is since I\'m going through an external mixer and then to another computer for audio recording, my mixes do not seem as cold as other digital recordings I\'ve heard. Perhaps that is one easy trick to get a slightly warmer sound? I\'m now doing research on stereo expanders, volume maximizers, tape/analog plug ins, etc.
    What a blast this home recording is...

Hi Dave, you can get pretty good results form your own home studio but there\'s one thing you don\'t have in your home studio and i say this from experience it\'s objectivness, i get self absorbed in my bubble and sometimes it takes someone else to come in and say Ouwa ! what\'s going on with that bass... kind of thing. I say you can mix your projects but i usually say pay a trained mastering professional to do the final master, he can usually correct light errors caused by your acoustics in your home studio and inexperience.

I do professional mastering occasionally here in good ol\' Canada (for home studio record projects) and sometimes a second pair of ears can really bring a project to another level.

I am also a singer songwriter and when i\'m doing my stuff, even though i master for a living, i pay someone else to do it for that objectivness factor i talked about earlyer.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your project Dave

Franky
    Vintaudio Productions www.vintaudio.com

The debate on whether or not you can get \"Radio Ready\" mixes out of home studios has gone on for days. I really believe its more the song and arrangement than the mix, but all of Kip\'s comments hit it on the nose.

It all depends on the style of music as well. Multiband compresion is a good tool to get \"loud\" mixes, but is VERY easy to misuse. Ift first starts with good recordings, Then good miing, then good mastering. All of those in conjunction can get you a GREAT sound, and yes it can be done from home

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum