• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture to Egmont

Share/Bookmark

Overture to Egmont

Hello,

Long time Lurker, first time poster Seems like a great community here.

This is the first time I've ever attempted to put together a full orchestration. It is the Overture to Egmont, by Ludwig van Beethoven. All the instruments are from GPO, played via my little M-Audio Oxygen8.

I had a lot of fun doing this. Having played with this, I am eagerly awaiting GPO Aria. I've got the CC ready and waiting...

Re: Overture to Egmont

Hi Jeff, What have you been waiting for? This is a GREAT piece you have accomplished and shared with us! It's interesting to note that you used a pretty small piece of equipment (MAudio Oxegen 8) to play all these parts in.
    Like Randy Bowser noted in another post, you don't necessarily need to have a fifteen hundred dollar+ keyboard with all the bells and whistles to be able to use Garritan libraries to great effect. Thanks so much for joining in here, and congratulations on such a fantastic first effort! John
    I like the drawing in your avatar, do they have mountains in New Jersey?

That is quite an undertaking, Mr. Jeff, and you pulled it off very well. Some really nice timpani work in this rendering! Old Luddy himself would have been pleased.

Welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to some of your original compositions also.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Welcome to the listening room.

There are only 2 composers that I have added titles to, Prokofiev the Genious and Beethoven the Master.

You have treated the Master's music wonderfully.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Jeff, What have you been waiting for? This is a GREAT piece you have accomplished and shared with us! It's interesting to note that you used a pretty small piece of equipment (MAudio Oxegen 8) to play all these parts in.
    Like Randy Bowser noted in another post, you don't necessarily need to have a fifteen hundred dollar+ keyboard with all the bells and whistles to be able to use Garritan libraries to great effect. Thanks so much for joining in here, and congratulations on such a fantastic first effort! John
    I like the drawing in your avatar, do they have mountains in New Jersey?

Many thanks for the kind welcome! Yes, the MAudio Oxygen is a little thing; I had to hit the transpose button quite a bit, but it got the job done.

Yes they do have mountains in NJ, but I actually drew that "self portrait" when I lived in New Mexico. You can tell by the cactus in the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    That is quite an undertaking, Mr. Jeff, and you pulled it off very well. Some really nice timpani work in this rendering! Old Luddy himself would have been pleased.

Welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to some of your original compositions also.

Regards,
    Hi Larry,

Thanks for the welcome and the kind comment. Yes, I had a lot of fun with the timpani rolls on this one.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Welcome to the listening room.

There are only 2 composers that I have added titles to, Prokofiev the Genious and Beethoven the Master.

You have treated the Master's music wonderfully.

Well done

Ron
    Hello Ron,

Thanks! I tried to treat the Master with respect.

You know, it is funny how some people respond, though. I got the following comment in reply to my posting on the Soundclick forum.

Not Beethoven on MIDI instruments, please, for the sake of art.

:'(
    Oh well

Simply OUTSTANDING job you have done with this!!

now if you all will excuse me I am going to go throw rocks at keyboard and computers. LOL
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Jeff:

Welcome to the Forum and may I add how much I enjoyed
    your rendering of the Beethoven Overture. Absolutely outstanding
    sound and so well balanced.

It's obvious that you know quite a bit about how to work with
    samples to get such an amazing product.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Nicholson,

Permit me to also include a reference to another real symphonic recording, Just for comparison sake. I hope you don't mind?

Egmont

Interesting with this copied Karajan material by someone on Youtube is that, even though it's very badly copied, Beethoven's heavenily music still shines through like a Promotheus! Nothing can stop a master like Ludwig!

Fred

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast