• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter

The first 2 1/2 minutes of this piece is comprised of all GPO and JABB instruments, but they are processed thru z3ta in Sonar and Guitar Rig Amplifiers.

This could be performed in a live setting by hooking 2 Violins and 2 Cellos up to these amplifiers.

The second half of this piece is set in a traditional Orchestra, without effects, but I use a few more libraries in those sections.

Here it is

This piece is a continuation of my suite concerning the Characters in Lewis Carrol's books about Alice.

The rest of the suite is available at the site in my signature.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: The Mad Hatter

Hello again, our wild and prolific Rolifer!

Hearing this makes me think that it could be the Mad Tea Party in Alice which has kept me pretty much avoiding Tea throughout my life. This scene gave me quite a scare when I was a kid - probably my first exposure to madness. Along with everyone else, I enjoyed the wacky Disney version, but even in grade school I knew they hadn't gotten it right in that cartoon.

This is the madness I remember being creeped out about way back then.

I admire your work so much, Ron. Clever use of that audio morphing z3ta synth in Sonar in this Alice entry.

Another memory this jogged loose - when I was in Junior High, I played the March Hare in a stage production of Alice! - We were too Americanized and glossed over too.

Quite an atmospherically potent piece, this!

Central Illinois

Hi Ron, Have you been talkin' to Hippie? I think he may be starting to rub off on you. I love the slides and weird pitch bends in this.

I'm not very familiar with the story and don't have a lot to relate this to. It does seem very cinematic though and seems to be setting a scene, but not as benign as the Disney version of the story.

Stay away from the mercury fumes, Ron.

Really good writing and a great recording! John

That is a very ethereal piece of music. Creative and original! Excellent writing. I enjoyed the listen, Mr. Ron. Thanks.

Larry G. Alexander

Suburban NYC

Hi Ron,

Wow! This really knocked me out. Beautiful ... and very disturbing ... music, all rolled into one piece. I loved the brass near the end; very dramatic. A really nice mix too.

Although your piece doesn't sound anything like it, it nonetheless left me with the same feeling I get when I listen to this one long cue that Franz Waxman wrote for "The Bride Of Frankenstein" (he featured a 'new' instrument for the '30's called a Novachord). Both pieces have a beauty, and yet, a very dark vibe to them. Really nice writing sir.

It looks like this did work and no codework in your reply. Makes my life a ton easier, Thank you for your valued opinion.

You must know a little bit if you understand why Mercury plays a roll in this. I know a man that collected Art, Tall Case clocks and Barometers. He had a fire in his house and many of the clocks and Barometers were damaged. A couple of years later, he committed suicide. His house was found to be full of Mercury from the Barometers and that is why he ended up killing himself. It also explains why a 70 year old man would greet me at the door while he was in his underware. Wish I would have known he was being slowly poisoned by the mercury. He was an interesting man.

Mr Larry

Just returning the favor. Thank you sir.

Franz Waxman was a great composer and realy knew how to get that dark vibe into jhis music. I am honored to have my music compoared with his. I will now have to go see what a Novachord is.

Thanks Guys

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Great orchestral work like always Ron, you are achieving an extraordinary Carrrol Suite, congratulations!!. The manage of timbres and contrasts, color palette and moods are excellent.

Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Go Back to forum