• Register
  • Help

Topic: Views From an Ethereal II

Share/Bookmark

Views From an Ethereal II

Alrighty, for those of you who remember my "An Introduction to the Desert" post, this is a continuation of that. As I said previously, this song follows a style (mind set?) of one of my previous songs, Views From an Ethereal (hence the title of the new one )

The idea is that the music is supposed to portray some scenes viewed by this...insubstantial thing.

So far, it is incomplete, and I cut it off rather abruptly since I've written more, but can't decide if it's worth keeping

Here is the scene progression as it is now

A Desert in the late evening
    A skirmish in the shrubs
    The sands under the clear sky

Thanks for listening!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7446576&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7446576&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Views From an Ethereal II

Hi Michael, The overall volume this was recorded at is still real low, and that's really a shame as this is good stuff. Is there anything I can do to help you get this worked out? I could boost the wav file for you if you want, or try to steer you through doing it.
    The percussion work on this is great. But I have to turn it up until my system noise level starts being too audible. John

Hey bigears, thanks for your comment! Glad you liked the percussion work in this, I tried to make it pretty prominent (especially in the 2nd part). After looking at audacity for a few minutes, i figured out how to make the file a bit louder, and I've updated the song, so it should be a bit easier to hear now, thanks

Edit: Okay, so i thought I made it louder, perhaps a bit of help could be used
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Michael

In audacity do a select all. Under effect, ckick on amplify. Then click okay. If you have a lot of high peaks, then that still may not be enough amplification. At that point, I first try to just slide the control higher and clip on allow clipping. If I get distortion, then I have to play with the file in Sonar to lower those peaks and do the same thing again.

Nice piece, but I had to turn up the volume a lot.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hey Michael, If you open up Audacity, click on "project", and then "import audio". Once you have your wav file there, go to "edit>select all" and then go to "effects" and either select "amplify" or "normalize". I think the difference is that amplify raises the level to 0dB and normalize raises it to -3dB. Your file probably need to be raised to 0dB (amplify). Then just click on "OK" and once it's processed the file, then you can convert to a mp3 by going to "file" and selecting "export as mp3" and you should be all set. John

Ah, thanks for the help guys! I believe I've actually done it

The more audible file has now been uploaded in place of the original.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

That is very nice Michael. It has a great feel to it.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I'm sure glad I caught this intriguing piece, sanyarem. Full of effective changes of mood and it's consistently very interesting. Your scenario for it is a bit mystifying - I'll stay tuned to hear more.

I've read the thread - Obviously you fixed the volume issue, because just now I had to turn my computer's potential volume Down!

Thanks much for this.

Randy

Go Back to forum