• Register
  • Help

Topic: Whispers in the wind (Garritan Steinway)

Whispers in the wind (Garritan Steinway)

Hi again. Changing the style i´m sharing now a soft (very soft and retro) pop ballad. There is a section where i tried to emulate a classical 70´s bass.

Central Illinois

Re: Whispers in the wind (Garritan Steinway)

Nice ballad Victor! That's a great melody in the first part and again at the end.
    A very nice way for me to end the day here. Thanks, John

Thanks John for your kind words. I understand that academic music is more apreciated in this forum, but though i am an academic musician too, pop is a genre that i almost never perform, but i love the 70´s pop music (is a great weakness, ok?...). But at the same time, is a great chance to explore and transfer a lot of compositional structures of this music to the piano, like the bass lines (is not easy to perform this rythmics patterns at the same time the right hand is performing harmonies and melody), and i enjoy this "emulations" a lot.

Thanks for your comments,

Very nice playing and an excellent arrangement!

Nice job Victor. To me it has the sound of a piano bar back in the day.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Thanks Davin and Hippie. Hippie, about the "piano bar" sound, your comments makes me remember when i studied with my teacher (a very, very academic, formal and conservative one) and she get annoyned when she saw me playing this kind of music and told me: "Victor, are you playing this cabaret, this piano bar music again?" . Well, in this day she understand that i am too versatile and i play a lot of diferents styles. But i try to do the best with each one, with respect and pleasure.

Really fine rendition and such a lovely piano sound. It
    sounded just like you were playing an acoustic instrument
    with such wonderfully rounded notes and excellent damper

As a classical musician, I, too, am really interested in the
    pop culture. I especially like this genre of the 30s, 40s and
    70s. I think it's good to be able to understand and perform
    ALL kinds of music, especially when you want to.

Really great piano, Victor.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Jack and thanks for your words and assesment. I´m glad you are interested in pop culture too. About the sound, i used Under the lid, and i am agree that is very realistic, i think the improvements in 1.03 made the difference (and the fact that i can use now the sustain resonance!). I didn´t like this perspective before, but now i find it spectacular, at least for pop music, where the mics in a studio recording usually are placed near the mechanism. Though i have to say that i applied an sfx with an editor in order to obtain another color quality and it helped too.

My next piece will be something different.

Hi, Victor - In a tangent I got myself in to this morning, I wanted to seek out more Steinway pieces here in the LR.

I found quite a few pages back, that I'd managed to have missed your "Whispers" when it first went up. What a really nice discovery to have made - your post has really brightened up my morning!

This gets three "wonderfuls" from me--For the song itself, the performance, and the recording. Great!

And reading through the thread has me wanting to respond to this from you:

"...I understand that academic music is more appreciated in this forum..."

That's debatable, but I do understand why you said that. When I first joined the Forum, I hesitated for some time to post music from my stage musical based on "Dorian Gray." I was concerned that the sseeeeeerious people here would turn their noses up. That didn't happen. I got a wonderful response. I'm sure there were some people who didn't care for my non-academic music, but they kept it to themselves and didn't respond.

Recently there's been a continuing topic about jazz in the LR, and how there isn't that much of it - some people have similar concerns, that jazz just won't be "serious" enough for posting here.

It's all about music, and I'm not alone in feeling that the ideal would be for the LR to constantly have All genres represented.

After all, it's not "academic music" which is ever going to reach the masses. People want and deserve music they can respond to on a gut level - and there's nothing wrong with that. Ivory Tower composers may envy the larger audiences "pop" musicians attract - well, all they'd need to do is get over their prejudices and write for People instead of their Professors.

In the wake of Michael Jackson's death, people are re-discovering what a genius he was in the pop idiom in which he worked. People are admitting how deeply he touched their lives with his music - Now that's an accomplishment few composers in Any genre ever reach.

Recently a member who is a modern-classical composer sounded apologetic that his new work was written with the sensibilities of the audience in mind! - I think that's very ironic - apologizing for writing something that the general public might actually want to hear and like?! hehe.

SO - I say if you have more "pop" piano pieces like this, that you share them all. You're working in a genre here which has the power to reach many more people than most academically inclined music ever will. Go for it--and go for it with gusto!

Glad I found your piece - Thank you!

Yeovil, Somerset

A very nice piece! And well arranged.

Thanks for posting this!

Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Go Back to forum