• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dreaming (A Musical Poem)

Share/Bookmark

Dreaming (A Musical Poem)

Hi,

Last night, I had a dream...a very strange one. You know, when you dream like a quiet landscape but with something disturbing in it you can't explain. My dream wasn't properly a landscape, but a very strange situation. Something quite insane, I think. Maybe, it's just I'm thinking too much at the things I'm living these days...I won't tell you the dream I had...just listen and say what it seems.

Dreaming (A Musical Poem)

Enjoy, and...goodnight :-]

Andrea.
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Re: Dreaming (A Musical Poem)

Hi Andrea, I'm downloading the file now and will comment once I have listened to it, but I wanted to tell you that I think you have inserted the wrong link for this file. There's a box where you can "copy link" that will copy the right URL to insert in your post. I think you may have given a direct link into your account.

The piece is vaguely disquieting, but not disturbing to me. That long sustained chord that subtlely shifts around is too prominent in the mix IMO. It overides the melodic parts, but maybe that is your intent. The work is a believable depiction of a dreamworld though. Good job on this. John

What a creepy song. I think you did a great job bringing about the impression you intended. Most of my dreams could fit that description too, and this composition could be used to depict them as well. I do think the strings could have used a great deal more subtlety (maybe lower dynamics and/or mutes) because, as bigears mentioned, they sort of drown out the melody - which, in the beginning at least, interacts very well with the harmonic parts to sound like "something disturbing."

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Thanks for the comments, you two. The fact of the violins that are slowly surrounding and going above the melody it was in my intent. In a dream, we lose conscience by far and everything becomes confused and less nitid. We can hear well the melody at the beginning but, as far as we go through the piece it's, some times, overcome by the strings, which are the "disturbing" element, other times this comes out for a small time for then fall again under the strings carpet. Hope this will be explanatory for my choice of making the melody appear and disappear. Anyway, I turned lower the master volume (it was a bit too high). When I'll have some time and when my stupid router will work well, I'll upload this again. This will be on my next CD together with some new piano compositions I made and that the great bigears rendered for me with the Steinway. Soon I'll post something new. Don't stop comment, ok? .

Best regards,

Andrea.
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

That was quite interesting. It never got really creepy for me. I found the end a little abrupt... but then this does depict a dream, and dreams often end that way.

I got it. The slowly increasing strings, the highly repetitive pattern... all seemed to fit how I know MY dream go. Especially if it's one of those "trapped in the dream" dreams, where it keeps repeating over and over. You captured the feel of a dream in your music.

As musical entertainment, it leaves something to be desired. As a musical depiction of a dream, I think it pegged the needle. Good job!

Hello, Andrea

--Starting off with a note about the site where you have this. Awful. I had FOUR unwanted ad pop-ups that I had to chase down and close, and I couldn't ever find a way to just play the MP3, had to download it, after wading through several pages of garbage. Ack--I can't stand sites like that. Use Box - Clean, straight-forward and inoffensive. The listener has the choice of an MP3 player without downloading. It's great.

Now - So--thank you?--for dragging me into your strange dream! - Definitely atmospheric and suggestive of a dream that keeps us a bit on edge. Well done recording too. I understand the comments about the tremolo strings being over-powering, but I also understand your defense of using them. What works musically is the best guiding principal for a mixing choice, and if you feel this mix works best musically, then nobody can argue with your choice.

You're going to put this on a CD of your music. I would recommend some judicious editing of the length. It was an interesting listen for awhile, but I found it getting tedious about half way through. Cutting it down to at least of its current 11 minute length (!) and giving it a bit more dramatic interest in the arrangement would make it a more welcome track on your collection, in my opinion.

Thanks - it was interesting!

Randy

Go Back to forum