• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Othello

Re: Othello

This is beautiful Fred. The sound is perfect. Everything is dead on to my ears.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Central Illinois

Hi Fred, That's quite a composition, and it works well to accompany the tragic events.

I had to laugh after reading the long description of the youtube page, after all the tales of jealousy, betrayal, stabbings, stanglings, etc., at the very bottom it says: "Category, Entertainment"......

Thanks Fred, for another of your "entertaining" stories and wonderful compositions! John

Another very juicy piece from Fredrik - Always a time to sit back in preparation for an aural feast.

Wonderful driving energy befitting the story full of fury and thunder as it is, and with much evidence of your skilled compositional and arranging skills. The over-perfection of the notation playback is noticeable but easily forgivable, the actual score itself is so clearly represented.

Thanks also for reminding me of the great Orson Welles film version. If one can find a cleaner print than the one often seen, it can be best appreciated that way. That film was done when it was very common for Caucasian to play characters other races - or if it was objected to, the objections weren't heard too loudly. Nowadays we have black actors in the role of The Moor, but not always - very notably the Zeffirelli production of Verdi's opera, "Otello" starring the amazing Placido Domingo.

I enjoyed John pointing out how at the end of the long scholarly synopsis of the story, there's the You Tube dialogue ""Category, Entertainment"----HOWEVER - that makes me think of how it really wasn't all that long ago when complex, tragic literature like this Was considered high entertainment. I think it's unfortunate that the word "entertainment" seems to have become synonymous with what was once more precisely designated as "light entertainment." Plays, music and movies which are serious and deep can thoroughly entertain the mind - and to me, that's when the performing arts attain their true importance.

Thought provoking post with exciting, impressive music. Wonderful! Thanks for it, Fredrik.

NW Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    Hi Aram,

If you have not seen Orson Welles version of Othello, I recommend you to watch it! Here is a clip from it!

Vincent Canby of the New York Times called it "one of the screen's sublime achievements."
    OTHELLO was a triumph, winning the Grand Prize of the Cannes Film Festival.
    I wouldn't mind working with a personality like Orson.
    I didn't get to work with Orson, but I did get to work on the restoration of this film's music for the home video release. It was re-recorded in Chicago, must have been in the early 90's. Mike Pendowski transcribed as much as humanly possible from the original soundtrack and did a superb job.

Dark film, you bet!

Glad the film is still appreciated.

Very dramatic and passional and in consonance with the story.

OTHELLO ......
    Do you know that when you translate the name of our famous operawriter into plain english it is just Joseph Green?

Later today I will listen to this piece, right now I can't (no sound drivers).

Hi, Raymond,

Please explain a little more detailed what you mean! Fred
    Guiseppe = Joseph
    Verdi = Green

If you say Guiseppe Verdi - just pronounce those two words the Italian way - this sounds way better and more profound than Joseph Green, isn't it?

And what did I say about the sounddriver that made you laugh?

Okay, Raymond!

What was the name of the opera that made Guiseppe Verdi famous 1842?
    Nabucco. Are we playing Trivial Pursuit now?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast