• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Minuet from "Summer Night"

Share/Bookmark

Smile Minuet from "Summer Night"

Here is an arrangement that I got from a friend who bought it in Russia during the 1980's. It is a reduction of an orchestal work to clarinet and piano. I'd like to say that I am the clarinetist but not yet (need some more practice - as usual). This is the Finale GPO clarinet and Steinway piano using the ARIA engine in Finale 2009. I tweaked the midi data to get the sounds as close as possible to a live performance. See what you think...

Prokofieff - Minuet

Enjoy, it is a nice light piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Minuet from "Summer Night"

Hi Rich,

That was really nice! Your mix was great and really brought out the woodiness of the clarinet ... very resonant.

I'm curious, did you use the tongue-slur articulations w/ CC-64?

Regards,

Frank

Hi Rich, This is a nice recording you have done. The realism is right up there, maybe because of your familiarity with the instrument. The volume swells
    (crescendo) on some of the runs lends a nice touch. Thanks for sharing, John

Rich,

What a fun piece!

It's quite obvious that you enjoyed working on it.

Nice work with the clarinet.

Much enjoyed,

~Yudit~

Thumbs up Re: Minuet from "Summer Night"

That was fun to listen to, Richard!

He surely has composed a lot of witty stuff that show his desire to experiment, like he also does in his "Classical Symphony", filling the classical symphony form with his lovely crazy music!

Thanks for this little chamber music game,

Fred

Nice Job Rich. The mix is great.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Frank,

Thanks for the comments. As to your question:
    I'm curious, did you use the tongue-slur articulations w/ CC-64?
    Actually I used cc#68 and not cc#64. I listened to it both ways and for some reason in Finale 2009 the cc#68 has a smoother and cleaner slur sound than cc#64. It doesn't make sense to me as Garritan instruments use CC#64 for connected slur sounds in every other program. One of those quirks in Finale, I quess.

John,

The realism is right up there, maybe because of your familiarity with the instrument. The volume swells (crescendo) on some of the runs lends a nice touch.
    Thanks John. It certainly helps to understand the instrument you are writing for or even just scoring for. Each instrument has it's ideosyncrasies and ways of carrying a tone quality and dynamic expression. Knowing the instrument and it's technical problem areas is a big help. With the new Finale 2009 and a little care with putting in expression marks, one can get a fairly realistic sound. You still have to get into midi and work on the velocities at least as Finale will set those to one basic level and for wind players that is usually too low.

Yudit,

Thanks so much for listening and commenting. I like interesting pieces (especially for my prefered performance instrument). Though this was originally written for chamber orchestra, I feel it has a more intimate and lilting feel when done on solo Clarinet and Piano.

Fred,

Prokofieff was certainly playing with polytonality in polyrhythmic motives in this little work. When scoring it out, I couldn't find one measure that actually stayed in the key the piece was written in. And in playing this on my clarinet with the piano part, I found that I really really have to keep track of where I am in the counting as the piano part plays the same rhythms at times but one beat before or after where I am playing the rhythm. It keeps you on your toes!!

Hippie,

Thanks for commenting. And thanks about the mix. Even in Finale you do need to take care on left and right balance, amount of reverb and volume levels between the instruments. The volume issue can be addressed two ways either with the mixer (and panning their also) and also with the expression markings. Just because a score wants soft doesn't necessarily mean the player will play the marking exactly. For balance between piano and clarinet, I changed dynamic marks to make the balance sound right to my ears.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thumbs up Re: Minuet from "Summer Night"

You truly bring out the beauty of the clarinet here. I enjoyed listening very much.

I felt as if in a concert hall; very realistic recording.

Bravo!
    One of the many 14 year old geeks/nerds/whatever-you-want-to-call-them.

Very nice Rich, the clarinet sounds vivid and realistic and the piece is really enjoyable.

Victor

Hi, Rich,

I have to echos other's comments that the Clarinet sounds terrific. Hard to believe this is straight out of Finale. I do have to mention that the piano fades a little too much into the background for my taste, and would love to hear it just a little more forward to balance the clarinet.

Still, great work. Please keep it up.

Have you ever considered a wind controller?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast