• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT-New Hardware

Share/Bookmark

OT-New Hardware

I've got it. That new EMU1616M for PC as well as a total of 8 Gb RAM.
    Together with Sonar 8.3 - purchased last week - this must become the setup for better renderings, I hope.

But, I don't understand that DSP mixer and the manuals aren't that clear to this old dude. Eventually I will find out all possibilities.

Raymond

Re: OT-New Hardware

Congratulations, Raymond!

You don't need to use the DSP effects on the EMU do you, since you have the flagship Sonar?

8 gigs RAM--! OH my!

Hope it all works out great for you.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Congratulations, Raymond!

You don't need to use the DSP effects on the EMU do you, since you have the flagship Sonar?

8 gigs RAM--! OH my!

Hope it all works out great for you.

Randy
    No, in fact no, but it allocates ASIO on a certain port (always 15/16) and I wonder why this is, so I have to understand the settings and that software mixer. Trying to find out today.

Since I have 8 Gigs RAM now(total cost: €92 ~ $100), the older memory strips are obsolete. Anybody? Specs: 4 strips each 1 Gig, Kingston DDR2 KVR 800D2N5/1G. Can you imagine that two years ago I paid about €450,- for this 4 Gig, the price dropped dramatically!!! I'll send it by mail. Your costs: nihil, maybe a GIG-song (jazz style please).

Raymond

Hello Raymond,

Good luck with all this. What OS are you using? Have you gone 64bit? I'm thinking of doing the same but will probably wait for Windows 7.

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Hello Raymond,

Good luck with all this. What OS are you using? Have you gone 64bit? I'm thinking of doing the same but will probably wait for Windows 7.

Regards,

Graham

I am using XP64 and wait for Windows 7 - I'll give it at least 6 months to make it better - before I re-install my complete system. By then we must have those Aria players and the updated GPO.

Why 64 bits.... ok it nears my age. I too have at least 64 bits of years (LOL)

Raymond

"...There are still some benefits to using them, most obvious is that it's all done onboard the interface at no cost to CPU power..."

AH yes, of course! You're always so helpful, Jon, thanks for that, and for the link helping Raymond and other EMU users.

We're all wishing you the best as you take your studio on up to the next level, Raymond.

Randy

Jon, loving (haha) your reply. Reading material, hurray!!!

Raymond

I read thru all tutorials. Copied one of the proposed settings, only for playing back the made mix in Sonar 8.3 at the sample rate of 192KHz. Loaded Sonar without the mix to set the Audio preferences. Set these to the "strip" in EMU1616M-DSP, thus 192KHz and assigned the same "drivers"=outputports, all in ASIO. Set also the ASIO buffer at the highest value.

Sonar stalled.......... so I had to re-start my computer. And when you have set that DSPmixer to a sample rate and next load Sonar project with another sample rate it tells you that DSP has to make another setup. When you tell NOT to, then it keeps telling you that some adjustment is necessary, without the possibility to close that window... re-start the system is the only solution. Is this again a buggy driver?

I simply don't understand it anymore. I will go to some Cakewalk forum to find an answer.

Raymond

Sonar Forum should be helpful--Meanwhile, I have read often that this highest sampling rate of 192 doesn't really yield noticeably better results. But more importantly, I didn't think you could change the settings a project has already been done in - I think Sonar is trying to tell you that you're trying to make it do something incompatible with your project.

Techies?--Am I sort of correct--?

Randy

The highest I ever run Sonar 8 is at 24 bit, 44.1KHz. The higher the sampling rate, the more processing power and hard drive space used. Since most of my projects go to CD, I find anything higher isn't worth it. Also, most plugins aren't at any higher sampling rates.

Jim

Go Back to forum