• Register
  • Help

Topic: demo's or instructions for using VSL/KHS?

Share/Bookmark

demo's or instructions for using VSL/KHS?

I am going to be in the market for purchasing either the Vienna or Kirk Hunter samples in the next couple of weeks, but I don't really understand how each of them are used, and what exactly makes them more playable and realistic than something simpler like Miroslav?

Are there any manuals or videos that explain exactly how to use each one, and how the legato/portamento/ect. features work?

Also, if there are any resources for getting better results for Miroslav I would love to hear about those. I feel like I am not getting the full potential out of it.

Thanks!

Re: demo's or instructions for using VSL/KHS?

As far as VSL goes I would start with watching all of the videos they have online that shows off their sample playback engine. It is, without a doubt, one of the best I have ever used. Powerful and fairly easy to grasp. As far as Kirk's stuff goes I don't think he has any videos out yet. Kirk makes great sounding orchestral samples and his prices are so darn reasonable. I am about to buy Appasionatta Strings to compliment my VSL SE and Extended libs but shudder at spending over $600 bucks on a single string library.

I hope some of this helps,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Yeah, the prices on Kirk's samples are great, and I have heard rave reviews about the quality. What is hanging me up is the actual usability of them, and how to play them so that they sound like more than just simple string samples. I know that VSL has a special way that it works with legato, and other things that it does well, but I have no idea how the KH samples work in order to give a lot of expression and control over the sound.

As for the VSL expansions, I've only got the budget for the basic set, so unless someone drops a wad of money on my lap, the availability of these extra sets aren't a real benefit to me at this point.

I've used both of the mentioned libraries and have to say that even with VSL's pricing it IMO comes out on top when it comes to ease-of-use, flexibility and sound quality. VSL is just stuff you can't go wrong with, all of their samples are top notch and the player is very useable.

With his new TVEC programming, you cannot beat Kirk's libraries if you are comfortable with keyswitiching.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    With his new TVEC programming, you cannot beat Kirk's libraries if you are comfortable with keyswitiching.
    And there is the issue, since I don't have a lot of experience with anything above using Reason for some synth patches, I don't quite get exactly how you would use Kirk's patches, and what you do to control them.

I did check out the video for VSL on their site, and it seems like they have a lot of ways to control the sound. I just can't find any info about Kirk's product at all (in regards to how to use it). Is there an instruction manual somewhere to be downloaded?

There is a tutorial on beat-kaufmann.com that is applicable to any library with samples that are split into articulations. It is a more craftsman-like approach than I believe the typical musician would prefer, and I myself resisted using it for years. However, recently I did start using the technique, and I am now convinced of its superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    AFAIK Vienna's instrument interface has been able to do everything VTEC now brings to the table and more since it came out, years ago. It's not clunkily confined inside Kontakt either. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
    And there is the issue, since I don't have a lot of experience with anything above using Reason for some synth patches, I don't quite get exactly how you would use Kirk's patches, and what you do to control them.

I did check out the video for VSL on their site, and it seems like they have a lot of ways to control the sound. I just can't find any info about Kirk's product at all (in regards to how to use it). Is there an instruction manual somewhere to be downloaded?
    It simple Mark. You load i.e.a Violin TVEC with Mod wheel crossfading. You start with legato and now you want to switch to spiccato. Hit B0 on your keyboard and it is done. Move the mode wheel and it crossfades from a sample with a small amount of vibrato to more vibrato, which is what generally happens with real violinists. In the case of French Horn, the mod wheel may cause the filter to open, giving it an edgier sound as it gets louder, as real brass players generally do.

Simple, really.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum