• Register
  • Help

Topic: how warm/phaten up sample/synth Mixes?

Share/Bookmark

how warm/phaten up sample/synth Mixes?

What would you reccomend in terms of phatenning/ warming up my mixes (mostly samples and synths) before it is recorded in Protools/ logic?

I have heard that a pair of Avalon 737, or a 747, or a fatso, might be a way to go. Or is their a good plugin to get.

Or should I just invest in better samples

Re: how warm/phaten up sample/synth Mixes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dantonio:
    What would you reccomend in terms of phatenning/ warming up my mixes (mostly samples and synths) before it is recorded in Protools/ logic?

I have heard that a pair of Avalon 737, or a 747, or a fatso, might be a way to go. Or is their a good plugin to get.

Or should I just invest in better samples
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to try out Analog Channel from MCDSP for Protools (it\'s both RTAS and TDM). It consists of 2 plugins, one is a tape saturation emulation (very good, miles better than DUY valve or tape) and the other an analog sounding compressor/channel.

I usually slap it on a masterfader and it\'s amazing what it will do to your mix. You can download a demo at www.mcdsp.com

That and careful eq\'ing go a long way in warming up cold samples.

Cheers,

Joe

Hello,

The Avalon products are fantastic.

What VST products would you recommend for achieving the same goal of warming up sample?

Would love to hear any ideas?

Thanks

Kevin

For \"warming\" the best VST route I\'ve found is the PSP Mix Saturator or the Vintage Warmer.
    http://www.pspaudioware.com/indexen.html

If you want to go the analog route the FATSO is the #1 way to go. The Avalons are beautiful but they are very pristine and you won\'t be adding much \"color\" to your sound. A more economical analog route is JoeMeek compressors/EQs. They sound great and defintely add color and body.

Hope this helps!!

Personally, I do not tend to want to take Giga sampled instruments out of the digital world in order to process them with external gear. This makes for D/A and A/D conversions, which makes for some degradation of audio quality, even with high quality converters.

I am a huge fan of quality outboard gear for front-end tracking only, but once I get into the digital environment with audio, I like to keep it there.

The Analog Channel plug-ins, especially the AC2 for analog tape saturation effects, are excellent for warming up audio tracks. Some other quality plug-ins which work very well for this same purpose are Duy DaD Tape and DaD Valve plug-ins from www.duy.com

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

Go Back to forum