• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Attn: Dan Dean Woodwinds owners

Share/Bookmark

Attn: Dan Dean Woodwinds owners

I was just curious if someone could post a short demo of the solo oboe from Dans collection with some reverb on it.
    I\'ve heard the oboe within other wind instruments on Dans site, but I\'d love to hear the oboe by itself playing a nice line with a hall reverb on it.
    I\'d really appreciate it because I\'m thinking of buying it.
    Thanks

Re: Attn: Dan Dean Woodwinds owners

Hi Damon,

I am very happy with the DD woodwinds. My website is in the rebuilding process, because I am redoing everything with GOS.
    However there is a demo \"scherzo...\" where you can hear plenty of these woodwinds:
    http//:netmusic.home.att.net.

Jeannot.

Could someone post a little 15 sec demo of just the DD oboe doing a legato line with a hall reverb on it?
    Jeannot, thanks for the demo, but I\'d really like to hear the oboe just solo.
    I hate to sound high maintenance, but I\'d really appreciate it if anyone ever has anytime to do so.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 12-14-2001).]

Ahh... could someone do the same with the flute? Heck, make it easier for yourself... play some notes with the oboe, and then some with the flute, all in the same file. :P

BTW, Damon, I\'ve been looking over some posts about Distorted Reality 2. You\'ve got it, right? Did it convert well?

fyi, jacksmusic.com is doing a deal on the DDWWs.

I\'d also like to hear a demo if I could (I\'m not totally convinced by the demos on his site).

I did hear a demo the other day (don\'t have the url, unfortunately) of the xsample oboe d\' Amore and it was really, really good.

Damon, if you like AO\'s English horn, you\'ll prolly hate DD\'s. AO\'s is quite a bit more \"ducky\" sounding...but...even tho most say it sounds horribly played, I like it.

The flute is much better than AO\'s. In fact its pretty wonderful if you dont expect to be crossfading

but everything is so closed mic\'d in the library that I can\'t seem to get any nice \"air\" out of it no matter what verb\'s I use....so far

Also if you like the crossfading of AO, you wont get it in DD. I had to build my own, and ys there is phasing (just like AO), which is of couse the reason they didn\'t put it in the library. I haven\'t downloaded the updates (or even registered yet), so they may have added art files that do it.

I personally dont get inspired by any of the sounds in DD SW. BUT when you actually put a piece together with it and tweak, it doesn\'t sound bad.

I find the oboe to be a bit stark. in fact most of the instruments are IMO. Again writing an actual wind piece does show that they can sound good...but playing them just to hear/feel them out wont really get you anywhere.

Anyhow, I\'m initially unimpressed with the library, however I have yet to REALLY use it, so it may shine when I actually do. In Fact I believe it relly can...I\'m just not good with winds.

The Brass library seems so much better IMO. there is a BIG difference between Timbres. But then again. I am more of a brass guy than winds AND I did have to do a bunch of edits to be happy with it.

These libraries still seem like bigger versions of old akai sampling technique. So its alot of sample gloat. While it allows for alot of timbre change in the amount of velocity samples,....I dont play woods like drum libraries . I would have loved ATLEAST crecendo/decrecendo samples. SO I can mock up some expressive playing moving from different dynamic levels.

BTW, the staccattos and portatos are pretty nice, also the normal legato sampels have enough attck if you want tht you can use it as a veried version of the stacatto, giving for some pretty imprssive fast short note stuff.

I\'d post an MP3, but I feel bad about posting something that I haven\'t spent time on, like I do for other libraries. Its not fair to Dan Dean IMO. I did it once before, and dont feel too good about it.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go to: http:/www.coyoterd.com/demos/ and grab the oboe solo file. It\'s DDSW oboe with the latest articulation update, plan vanilla MIDI, no pitchbend, expression, or other controllers, and just a touch of reverb.

[This message has been edited by killerbobjr (edited 12-14-2001).]

KingIdiot wrote:

\"But then again. I am more of a brass guy than winds...\"

But you ARE going to do the fart library, aren\'t you, King?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killerbobjr:
    Go to: http:/www.coyoterd.com/demos/ and grab the oboe solo file. It\'s DDSW oboe with the latest articulation update, plan vanilla MIDI, no pitchbend, expression, or other controllers, and just a touch of reverb.

[This message has been edited by killerbobjr (edited 12-14-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. It\'s made my mind up - no DD oboe for me. It sounds okay, but only OK.

I listened to your \'legato\' (DD) strings again. Really excellent!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark UK:
    Hi Jeannot

In your opinion are the DD woodwinds considerably better than A.O. or Miroslav? I like the English Horn on A.O.; hate the flute; and the Clarinet, Oboe and Bassoon are bearable.

I want to upgrade my woodwinds but am not too sure which to choose.

Any thoughts?

(I am waiting for the Garritan woodwinds and brass!!!)

Mark

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought xSample clarinets .... they are really great...it\'s my suggestion.

Archangel

Go Back to forum