• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What do you guys think of Howard Shore's score for LoTR?

Share/Bookmark

What do you guys think of Howard Shore\'s score for LoTR?

So this score is getting raving reviews everywhere I look. I\'ve listened through it like 5 times already and I just can\'t seem to grasp what the big deal is. I think it sounds like a mediocre score with a large orchestra and choir to add to the atmosphere. For it certainly is atmospheric. I\'m just curious to hear what you guys think (as you are all musicians/composers I was hoping to get some interesting thoughts on the boring use of harmonies and orchestration in the score)

Thomas

Re: What do you guys think of Howard Shore\'s score for LoTR?

I havent heard it yet, but I WILL buy it. What I heard (excerpts) didn\'t really affect me in any way though.

Hi folks. Long time lurker here.

I like Howard Shore\'s score but sometimes it\'s easy to forget that the main purpose of score is to support the picture. That doesn\'t mean that the music shouldn\'t be good or moving, it\'s just that the score shouldn\'t take center stage most of the time.

I\'m a big fan of John Williams\' writing and I love the score to Harry Potter but I certainly think it was very intrusive to the picture at times. John Williams\' can get away with it in my book because he is John Williams but he was largely panned by the film critics for his score.

Sometimes simpler is better against picture rather than being bombastic and stealing it\'s thunder. I\'ll reserve judgment until after I see the Film.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattzen:
    Hi folks. Long time lurker here.

I\'m a big fan of John Williams\' writing and I love the score to Harry Potter but I certainly think it was very intrusive to the picture at times. John Williams\' can get away with it in my book because he is John Williams but he was largely panned by the film critics for his score.

Sometimes simpler is better against picture rather than being bombastic and stealing it\'s thunder. I\'ll reserve judgment until after I see the Film.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Williams can get away with it, because he can write \'intrusive\' music that isn\'t intrusive, just a more important part of a movie than scores usually are. Think of his scores as the music following a ballet or an opera - you would not call that intrusive, would you, if you accepted that the music had a right to play an important role in the movies. And the funny thing is, if Williams did Star Wars today, many critics would slam that score for being intrusive too, when the fact (IMHO ) is that the movie helps the movie becoming a lot better than it really is.

Yes sometimes it is not necessary with bombastic scores - and it\'s not like all of Williams\' music is like Harry Potter, but Harry Potter needed something to lift it out of mediocrecy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattzen:
    I\'m a big fan of John Williams\' writing and I love the score to Harry Potter but I certainly think it was very intrusive to the picture at times.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That\'s what a few critics have also said about the Harry Potter score.
    I was just so amazed at how much music there was to that movie and how every piece of music fit the film perfectly for each scene. Williams has such a knack for doing what\'s right at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 12-11-2001).]

The Lord of the Rings score is very very classical sounding, and pretty mediocre in my opinion. I think it does a great job of setting the right mood (having obviously not seen the movie itself yet), but the thematic material in it is rather dull and nothing to write home about. So it may support the film well, but I don\'t think it will significantly add to it.

In general, I\'ve found the quality of film scores has been going down over the past 10 years. I don\'t think Williams is as sharp as he once was. Neither is Goldsmith. Horner ran out of fresh ideas ages ago. Very few of the younger composers have impressed me. Zimmer has his moments, but always reverts to that same riff that you first heard in Crimson Tide.

I think there was a period of time from the mid 70\'s to the late 80\'s where there was just an outstanding amount of great film music coming out. I don\'t think we see that today, but maybe I\'m just getting old and crotchety.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 12-11-2001).]

PatS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Think of his scores as the music following a ballet or an opera - you would not call that intrusive, would you, if you accepted that the music had a right to play an important role in the movies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you really mean to say \"music following a ballet or an opera\"? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I do not dispute that music plays an important role in film. I merely believe that its relationship to the events in a film is very different from that in ballet or opera. To wit, music does not \"follow\" a ballet or an opera: it is the ballet; it is the opera.

The story of most films would still make sense if you took away the music; of course, it wouldn\'t be as moving or entertaining (as in, to hold one\'s attention), but you could still understand what\'s happening up there on the screen. Take away the music of a ballet or an opera, and you\'ve got some weird stuff unfolding on stage--less so with opera, assuming the performers speak the arias and recitatives, although the repeated lines would sound rather bizarre, if not silly (\"Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!\").

Pat

Thanks, Pat. I needed a good laugh!

Tom

Hehe. Pat ok opera is maybe stretching it, but ballet then The point was just that some movies need music more than others, some movies need little music, or music \'hidden\' in the background. Others need them up front, and Harry Potter definitely needed some sonics to make up for the uninspiring visuals (IMHO).

Oh thank GOD you came around and saved my day Jamieh!!!!! Lately I\'ve been reading these reviews of the LoTR score on various respected sites and it\'s like the reviewers suddenly dropped 50 IQ notches All of a sudden thematic brilliance, orchestrational orginality and body of work are forgotten ingredients in a what makes a good score. And people keep comparing it to Harry Potter. Fair enough I guess, since both are big budget fantasy movies driven by that magical feel. What really makes me irritated is the fact that most reviewers call Harry Potter a rehash of uninteresting and ripped off material of his earlier work. Reviewers are saying that the complexity of the LoTR score is unsurpassed in any other score, when in reality the complexity of the LoTR score is nothing more than a bog standard routine orchestrator job.

It just makes me somewhat annoyed to read all these raving reviews of LoTR because I don\'t understand why it deserves such humongeous attention. Especially when I read the hilarious arguments. \"original. deep. great theme. incredible atmosphere (which is actually one I could agree on). simply brilliant.\" that\'s what they\'re saying.

Thanks for sharing my opinion, Jamieh. I was beginning to believe I was the only one who didn\'t like love it.

Oh and I don\'t really think the Harry Potter music got intrusive to the degree that I just wanted it to stop for a few mins. In my opinion the loud level mix of the score in that movie really was a fresh breath of air, like I said before. I only wish the score release would be longer :=)

Everytime I try to listen to LoTR, I soon find my thoughts wandering off to whatever, loosing my concentration entirely. The score is simply too dull to keep my attention. It might be a good sign, though. Let\'s hope it works well in the movie.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Thomas

[This message has been edited by Thomas_J (edited 12-12-2001).]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast