• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: QL 56 Strat-how do you like it?

Share/Bookmark

QL 56 Strat-how do you like it?

I received my QL \'56 Strat yesterday. Haven\'t had much time to play with it, and won\'t have until the weekend, but here\'s a quick comment.

It\'s huge! One guitar, 4 CDs! I knew that intellectually, but installing is another thing entirely

The finger-style guitar gigs are very, very nice. I can easily play convincing bg patterns that sit easily in the track.

No apparent processing-if you want effect guitar, you have to treat it just like a real guitar and send it to something that adds the fuzz, distortion, wah, etc. That gorgeous demo was processed through a Pod, and creating that kind of track will require doing something similar. I use a stock Gina IF and have been going digital direct to my board. Can\'t do this with this insturment (until ReValver, anyway-any details on that?) For me, it means going to the analog outs of the Gina, or through the FX/Aux busses of the console.

There are a few intonation problems with some patches. They\'re not bad, and when you play it, they add to the character and believability of the guitar.

The chunks and power chords are thin (Nick mentions this in the docs, he\'s not hiding anything.) Again, this won\'t be a problem when using outboard processing (and when\'s the last time you heard a power chord played by a clean guitar...)

Overall, I\'m satisfied. When I have the time, I\'ll be using my Hughes/Kettner preamp to get the character out of the sounds, but I\'m pretty sure it can be done.

Dasher

Re: QL 56 Strat-how do you like it?

\"It\'s huge! One guitar, 4 CDs! I knew that intellectually, but installing is another thing entirely\"

Please describe the various .gigs available. I am hoping it\'s not just one massive gig file!!!!

Im hoping there are seperate .gigs for individual playing styles, etc.

You are the first user to comment on the library, thank you for your comments. So far though, it sounds like you\'re not blown away by it? (Or maybe you are??)

Haven\'t had time to be blown away-like any good instrument, you\'ve got to learn to play it. So far, I spent less than an hour...

It will need extrnal processing, for sure, to sound like that Strat in the demo, but I expected that.

Gigs:

3 primary gigs

QL \'56 Strat Bridge.gig
    Mute/Pops
    Mellow strummer
    Big strummer
    Lead
    Surf/Spy
    Strum Elements/Noises
    Strum/Chug Layer low
    Strum/Chug Layer high
    Power Chords
    Rise and Fall;

QL \'56 Strat Neck.gig
    Mute/Pop
    Strummer
    Lead
    Hawaiian strum
    Power Chords
    Effects

QL \'56 Strat Notch.gig
    Finger
    Pick/Strum
    Mute

I can\'t comment on much other than what I said above. I believe, however, that with the time to learn it, this will prove to be a really great library, And I\'m not just saying that because I spent $300!

Try it, you\'ll like it! I\'ll have more Monday, probably.

Dasher

Do you own the ($20) sonic implants Strat? I\'d be interested in a comparison. Obviously if you need strums and you\'ve got the cash then the QL is an option, but I\'d like to hear how the basic tones compare (bearing in mind that the QL is 15 times the price and might clog your PC\'s arteries).

I have the sonic implants strat tones and think it is pretty damn cool. If you shove it through revalver or POD I wonder if it sounds significantly worse(?) than the QL?

I\'m praying for Somic Implants choirs and orchestras. I don\'t hear any compromise in the quality of the Strat at all, and it \'plays\' very naturally.

I own the Sonic Implants Strat, and if you think it\'s pretty damn cool, you are sure to find this one awesome.... i can pretty much guarantee that just by the demo.
    I bought the sonic implants strat just to be sure i was on the right track with my own library, it was worth the 20 bucks just to know i was doing something worth while

Franky www.vintaudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franky:
    I own the Sonic Implants Strat, and if you think it\'s pretty damn cool, you are sure to find this one awesome.... i can pretty much guarantee that just by the demo.
    I bought the sonic implants strat just to be sure i was on the right track with my own library, it was worth the 20 bucks just to know i was doing something worth while

Franky www.vintaudio.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I listened to your demos and thought they sounded absolutely top notch; and great value.

Thx Z6

Franky www.vintaudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franky:
    Thx Z6

Franky www.vintaudio.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing I would suggest, (presumptious, but I can\'t help myself), how about selling your collection as downloadable separates (a la Dan Dean\'s woodwind and Brass, and sonic implants)?

It\'s hard to believe you\'d sell less and likely you\'d sell a lot more. The demos suggest that these would be fantastic buys (almost exactly the price of sonic implants stuff - when you purchase the chords as well).

Not presomptuous at all mate, but each guitar gig is 500 megs... so downloading these is not feasable... i think the sonic implants strat is about 10 megs not the same ball park at all

Franky www.vintaudio.com

Not presomptuous at all mate, but each guitar gig is 500 megs... so downloading these is not feasable... i think the sonic implants strat is about 10 megs not the same ball park at all

Franky www.vintaudio.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops, sorry, you\'re right - and Dan Dean\'s stuff comes on CD as well. Anyway, how about separating them on CDs, fifty bucks a throw? (of course my own budget is shot for now, but there\'s always next year).

Go Back to forum