• Register
  • Help

Topic: Triggering new samples by depressing more than one key

Share/Bookmark

Triggering new samples by depressing more than one key

Does anyone know if if any of the software samplers allow you to trigger different samples if one depresses several keys at once instead of one key at a time?

In other words, would any of them allow you to trigger a different sample by simultaneously pressing, say,C3 and Bb3, than would be triggered if each note were played individually?

Re: Triggering new samples by depressing more than one key

Gigastudio allows for \"Keyswitching\" which uses keys that are not mapped with samples as switches to determine which sample will sound when a mapped key is played (usually a slightly different playing style - such as \"up bows\" vs. \"down bows\" in Garritan Strings).

I don\'t know of any capability for two MAPPED keys to trigger different samples when used in combination. Not sure why you would want that - sounds like it could easily turn into a nightmare to keep track of.

I\'m assuming what you\'re talking about is hitting C3 and getting a French Horn, hitting E3 and getting a French Horn and hitting both C3 and E3 together and getting a Clarinet. (or something like this)

The chances of this actually being useful rather than a nightmare are almost zero. You may thing you are hitting two notes at the same time and you may think you hear them sounding at the same time but in reality they are probably sending MIDI messages up to 20 ticks apart. (depending on your PPQ resolution) This is a distance that the ear can\'t hear but it would render your \"Chording\" useless for triggering a different set of samples. Besides, because of this drawback I highly doubt that this feature has even been attempted in a software application.
    Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe someone has tried it, I don\'t know.

Gav

[This message has been edited by KBub (edited 12-06-2001).]

Sorry for the double post (man I hate IE):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gav:
    I\'m assuming what you\'re talking about is hitting C3 and getting a French Horn, hitting E3 and getting a French Horn and hitting both C3 and E3 together and getting a Clarinet. (or something like this)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one application might be for a guitar library... single notes trigger single note samples for lead lines, but playing a chord triggers a chord strum sample. This would be easier to play live than using keyswitches, but I agree with the other replies that it would be a nightmare to implement. You\'d also have to be really precise in your playing: when is a fast, sloppy arpeggio a chord and when is it just a fast, sloppy arpeggio?

KB

My goal would be to trigger a sample of a piano chord (that would include overtones, since the sample would be of a chord played on the piano) instead of two separate samples.

To reduce the nightmarish quality, I want to create different sample sets for each key (ie, G Major), and create samples for only the ten to twenty most often played chords and inversions in that key. (I\'m thinking of pop\\rock playing here. Enharmonic jazz and classical music would be impossible.) Yes, this would require changing sample sets to play in a different key.

I wouldn\'t want to stop at triggering new samples by playing two notes. I want to trigger an entirely different sample if three notes were pressed at once, as opposed to only two of those same notes. This seems possible, since it\'s only an if-then sequence: IF these keys are pressed BUT not these keys, THEN play this sample.

If no sampler lets me do this, does anyone know if it would be possible to create a program that would sit on top of midi and send such commands?

And then you could paint your keyboard like a \"Twister\" game and REALLY lose control.
    Have fun Jake.

Go Back to forum