• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Conducting again?

Share/Bookmark

Cool Conducting again?

No, not for an electrical power project. I have been formally requested to conduct / musical direct a production of The Rocky Horror Show in October. Out all the musicals I have conducted (somewhat successful) this rock musical never passed my way.

OK, I admit I've been away from the baton for four years now and just living life each day to the fullest. However, dusting off my baton(s) and getting back to studying a score sounds nice. I must say this musical has never been one of my favorites yet I do love to direct and take the cynicisms of the audience.

Well, we shall see how everything materializes in the next few months following me soigery (surgery).

Now .... where did I store those batons?

Oh, did I mention this is a paid position?
    Styxx

Re: Conducting again?

Good for you Styxx! That might be just the ticket for your recovery period
    (as long as you can conduct with the other arm) Best, John

EXCellent new, Styxx!

"Rocky" is a wild, fun show - I'm surprised to see how theatres all over the country still do it, even though the movie is such a definitive version that audiences expect to just see the film live on stage - a peculiar challenge for a live theatre group to rise to.

What did you mean when you said, "...and take the cynicisms of the audience..."---?

Randy

Randy, many moons ago I was musical director / conductor for a local youth theatre group. There was always a few who doubted my ability. Mainly, parents of children within the group who would "protect" them at all costs! Even if it meant approaching the musical director because he had concerns as how one or more of the actors sang, sung, sing, see? Thus, I've had my fill of convincing them I knew what I was talking about and it was always in the best interest of the show ... the entire show! Granted, I wasn't always right. I just didn't have time to listen to their side of the argument.

This is one musical new to me. I've already have made contacts for the materials to practice, study, review, arrange, scrutinize, play the parts on piano, and to be solid with knowledge of every aspect of Rocky Horror Show. This should be quite some fun I imagine.

Anyway, its water under the bridge and ezz gone those days, yes?
    Styxx

Oh, did I mention this is a paid position?
    Interesting! How much do you have to pay ?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Ah yes, I remember that you have worked with a youth theatre group. And you've just described the classic and perennial problem of "stage mothers"--let's say, "stage parents" to not suggest it's only mothers who indulge in that disruptive kind of behavior.

Wouldn't it be great if you could say "Rehearsals are closed to people who aren't either in the show or are working on it"-? But then it's possible the parents help out in areas of costuming, publicity etc., so they could be on hand legitimately and still demonstrate the lack of respect you're talking about.

I worked in community/amateur theatre for many years as an actor, designer, technician, and director. I can say that even when working only with adults, there are difficulties involved which are just part of the amateur milieu. "Demand" too much and you'll ruffle feathers, with some people saying "We're just volunteers, you're expecting too much from us." And there are always people who have far too exalted an opinion of their unrefined abilities and who rebel against direction. But the paradoxical truth is that if we aren't "demanding" enough, people will be very quick to be critical that professional standards aren't being upheld. It's almost impossible to "win."

I finally found it to be too much. Too many people being star struck with the opportunity to be part of live theatre, but who turn out to be under-motivated to work at the level needed to turn out a good production, and under-experienced enough to need direction and assistance but which they fight against.

And so on.

But yes, every show is a new beginning - your experiences are in the past, "water under the bridge" as you said.

I am wondering if it's a youth theatre which is putting on "Rocky"--? It's a risque show full of sexual situations that I can easily predict some parents will object to.

Most of all - I wish you a wonderful, rewarding experience with it!

Randy

No, not a youth theatre thank God.
    I finally found it to be too much. Too many people being star struck with the opportunity to be part of live theatre, but who turn out to be under-motivated to work at the level needed to turn out a good production, and under-experienced enough to need the direction and assistance they need but which they fight against.
    The nail was never hit so squarely before! This is one of the reasons I just couldn't stay at the youth theater any longer. Fifteen years was enough.

From what I have been told this production is in the downtown theatre district of Buffalo (hard to believe there still is a theatre district left). It is definitely adult actors so there should be no issues. I would question if it where a youth group and would not except the position.

And to answer buckshead question ... the ad said if I use my credit card it's only $19.99 but wait!
    Styxx

AH, this bodes well, at least in the fact that it's a group of adults, so they can make their own decisions about whether the show's content bothers them or not.

And though I'm glad you found that my comment hit the head squarely - your quote revealed a redundancy in my writing---something I get HOoorrrified at--hehe---So I had the chance to fix up the English in my original post. - Fussy me.

I think this project could be a blast. I hope you have a great time. And wow, only $19.99!--such a deal--maybe some cool kitchen knives will be thrown in to the bargain!

Randy

Well, do it! I am sure you will have a blast! I don't like the Rocky Horror Show, but if I had the opportunity and ability, I would do it! Just be careful about that shoulder!

Richard

Added: I would do it with adults! I will never again work with children. Not because of the children, but because of the parents!!!! When I was in the army, I worked with children, and some really vicious things were said about me in an effort to cause me serious problems.

Richard

Go Back to forum