Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Crossing the Rockies in a Big Truck

Share/Bookmark

Crossing the Rockies in a Big Truck

80000 pounds
    many, many times with a 9 speed w/235 hp to 350 hp
    up to 11000 feet
    and a long way down (w/no jake brake)

(I stayed east of the Miss. w/my 13 speed, 425 cat)

Here it is (Garritan Authorized Steinway)
    http://www.box.net/shared/15pn4ke533

Comments Welcome
    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Crossing the Rockies in a Big Truck

Hi Ron,

I've only ever crossed the Rockies on a train (Denver-Grand Junction-on to Utah), but have seen many large rigs in the mountains of Pennsylvania when we drive to Chicago every year. I don't see how you guys do it! A lot of skill involved ... as there was with this very interesting piano piece. The imagery was there for sure. Did you play that in real-time?

I enjoyed it.

Regards,

Frank

Frank

I wish I could say that I played this one live, but I can't play that fast.

If you only get to cross the rockies once in your life, crossing west of Denver is a great place to do it. I assume the RR follows the Colorado river like the interstate and that is a beautiful journey.

I have crossed the rockies in every state that they are crossable and even in Canada, but my driving days are over. I miss the sights, but not the 90 hour weeks.

Thanks

Ron

Well Ron, more of your interesting life is revealed. Sailor, truckdriver, and musician. Now don't tell us you were a lion tamer once too......

I like the piece and those descending runs are cool.

Did you ever have your brakes go out? I grew up in Wyoming and lived in Montana too, so I experienced driving in the mountains but not in a semi.

Thanks for sharing your piece. (I'm a bit relieved to read that you didn't play that live......whew! ) John

John

Never a Lion Tamer, but I was once a white water river guide in West Virginia. White water can swallow you hole, whereas a lion has to take bites out of you.

I have never lost my brakes completely, but I have had smoke billowing out from them. Once coming down the hill into Pendleton, Oregon, I was certain I was not going to make it to the bottom, but just then it started to rain which cooled my brakes enough to let me make it.

I used to always put either Beethoven or Prokofiev into my cassette player at the top of the major hills, so that if I didn't make it to the bottom alive, I at least listened to some great music on my way out.

You wouldn't believe the adreneline rush you get when you push down on your brake pedal and nothing happens.

Thanks

Ron

Ron:

Really nice contemporary piece and the Steinway played it
    so well. It's amazing the tone that the Steinway has and you
    used it to your best advantage with your melody over the chord
    clusters.

Now, I want to hear it with some of your orchestral writing.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

"You wouldn't believe the adreneline rush you get when you push down on your brake pedal and nothing happens."

Well, it must something like the feeling of noticing that your body is about to be bisected by the rear wheels of a big rig, where you have managed to cleverly place yourself between the front and rear wheels. Fortunately, I had a very short warning of impending disaster when my shoulder was struck, and I concluded that a rapid removal of myself from my bicycle would be a prudent act. I escaped with hardly any injury, mild abrasions, and some rubber embedded in my left forearm which remained there for about 40 years before disappearing and leaving a permanent blister as a reminder.

Meanwhile, back to the Rockies: The treble was bright and agitated, very attention grabbing! But the best part was the grand handling and sound of the bass. It was a very good demo of your skills as well as a good demo of the Steinway, which, alas, I shall probably never have, since I have no elderly relatives to leave me riches when they die. (I am next oldest in the family, the oldest being one of my sisters.)

My first view of the Rockies was from the window of a small military aircraft, and it appeared that we were about to fly head on into a wall of rock. Suddenly a hole with very jagged edges appeared, and we flew unharmed into Salt Lake.

Richard

Jack

Ever since I started composing this one I have been trying to figure out an orchestral backing to it. Finding any working counterpoint to this piece is not going to be easy. Although I do keep thinking about it.

Richard

The first time I crossed the rockies was also by jet. I took a plane from Baltimore to LA and then from LA to Honolulu. But the trip back was done in a military aircraft. There were 5 of us sitting along side the outside edges of the plane in fold down jumpseats. That was quite a ride, but the price was right. Free is always a good price.

I would hate to find myself under a semi-trailer while everything was moving. A friend of mine once put his front right wheel into the backseat of a car and drove that way for about a quarter mile before he finally got stopped. That 4 wheeler had to of soiled himself when he saw a huge wheel in his backseat.

Thanks for taking the time to download this one. I know what a pain a dial-up connection can be.

Thanks again guys

Ron

Hi Ron, the mountain's vertiginous summit is like a musical notes waterfall or the wind whirling around the Rockies and your truck. Very interesting contemporary work.

Victor

While this isn't how I would describe crossing the Rockies, it's an amazing piece. The Rockies have to be one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever seen though. I can't imagine almost losing my brakes there. :-(

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast