• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Omnisphere one-hour challenge revisited

Share/Bookmark

The Omnisphere one-hour challenge revisited

Back in December I posted the first results from a little project of mine called "The Omnisphere One-Hour Challenge." Basically it consists of me loading Omnisphere with eight randomly selected patches, then giving myself one hour to come up with a complete composition.

I've kept at it since my first post, and now I think I've reached a point where I'm ready to quit, at least for a while. I did twenty pieces altogether, which are now available for your listening pleasure at my website.

If you just want to listen without slogging through a bunch of text, go here. But if you'd like more background on each piece, including patch lists, or if you'd like to leave a comment, go here.

This was a lot of fun for me. The results are uneven, some turned out well and some didn't, but it was still a worthwhile experience. Hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed writing.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: The Omnisphere one-hour challenge revisited

Very cool idea. I'm always way in favor of those structures that force you to throw yourself into the work. (You might check out Album In A Day if you're not familiar with it and are intrigued.)

I think with "just" Omni and RMX loaded up in a project, I have very few excuses not to be able to bang out something fairly quickly that sounds pretty spectacular. These are amazing times.

I work mostly in rock, so it's amusing trying to squeeze both into that idiom -- lots of "Simplify" knob -- but I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm checking out your work now, thanks a lot for sharing it!

Cheers.

I'm not familiar with Album In A Day (when I Googled it I came up with a lot of sites devoted to scrapbooking) but it sounds like an intrigueing idea. If I can ever find a day when I don't have a million things planned, I may have to give it a try.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

This is the one. http://crapart.spacebar.org/aad/

I can't say I ever participated officially, but I did borrow the idea. It was fun, and I got a couple of good songs out of it as well.

Cheers.

Go Back to forum