• Register
  • Help

Topic: Banjo in New GPO

Share/Bookmark

Banjo in New GPO

I vaguely remember seeing a reference to there being a banjo in the upcoming release of GPO with the ARIA player. If it is to be included, I'm wondering if it will have scripting that lets it "strum" a chord like Real Guitar. It seems to me that, since this technology has been around for a while (and is part of Kontakt) that it makes sense for any instrument that is normally strummed to include it. But I am unfamiliar with the ARIA player and don't know if it is possible in that format.

Yes, I know the banjo is also used to pick out individual notes, probably more so than the guitar. But I all ready have quite a few banjo VIs that play only this way and I am hoping that, if a banjo is included in GPO, that it will be able to emulate strumming.

And, yes, I know that you can simulate strumming by playing fast arpeggios on a keyboard - but I don't think the banjo notes are laid out the same way, so I wouldn't expect it to sound the same. Real Guitar translates my keyboard chords into the way they would sound on a guitar and it seems more authentic to me than trying to fake strumming with, say, one of the guitar instruments that ships with K2.

Also, if it isn't too late to vote on instruments that I'd like to see in GPO are saxes - at least an alto and tenor solo. (I have saxes in JABB, but they are of limited usefulness for classical sounding pieces). I would also hope it includes a mandolin. I realize that these instruments are not commonly thought of as being part of the orchestra, but in the musical theater they are all quite common. (And banjo should have been part of JABB, too. There is so much early jazz that uses it.)

Re: Banjo in New GPO

Interesting post and April 1st is still a few days away!

I wouldn't expect to see a banjo included in GPO ARIA, as the name suggests - Garritan Personal Orchestra. I haven't ever seen a banjo played with a live or included with a sampled orchestra much as I would love the inclusion it's perhaps out of place.

I play celtic style tenor banjo and have yet to find a sample library that includes such an instrument. There are examples of the more common G banjo used in bluegrass but I haven't used them much as I don't play or write bluegrass music or have any use for that type of banjo sample.

The difference between celtic tenor banjo and jazz tenor is only in tuning although the playing style is completely different. In celtic style the notes are almost exclusively picked whereas in jazz playing it's almost exclusivley chorded.

Perhaps in the future we might see the inclusion in a world or celtic library.

Oops,

I have played live a banjo together with a brassorchestra.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I believe the inclusion of a banjo in GPO is just a running joke. I wouldn't be averse to it happening, though!

I agree it was a pity a banjo was not in JABB. Nor have its guitars featured on a dem, except inaudibly in a chuck israels piece. Odd. Consequently, JABB is the only Garritan set I never bought. But while the maestro sorts this out (not before the long awaited choir though), the sampled banjo in the remarkablycomprehensive voice and instrument set by Papelmedia (soundfont/VST) is not at all bad.

I found the original reference in Garritan's post:

GPO ARIA - delayed slightly "imminent" obstication

I did write that GPO ARIA updates will be available "soon" after the NAMM show. I am not going to make excuses as to how soon “soon” is. We ran into a few minor caveats (like glitches but fancier sounding) and we made the decision to add a few features. Tom wants to add some cc manifold thruster thingy, David finds that ProTools 8 blew up an ARIA component, Jeff notices an anomaly with the sample-space continuum, and Tony complains there are no banjo samples

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    I found the original reference in Garritan's post:
    GPO ARIA - delayed slightly "imminent" obstication

I did write that GPO ARIA updates will be available "soon" after the NAMM show. I am not going to make excuses as to how soon “soon” is. We ran into a few minor caveats (like glitches but fancier sounding) and we made the decision to add a few features. Tom wants to add some cc manifold thruster thingy, David finds that ProTools 8 blew up an ARIA component, Jeff notices an anomaly with the sample-space continuum, and Tony complains there are no banjo samples
    Haha yes, a running joke as Henry said. If you really need a banjo, check out Front Porch Banjo - I've heard good things about it.

I'm waiting on the "cc manifold thruster" myself.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    I'm waiting on the "cc manifold thruster" myself. Tyler
    Do I need one? What is it by the way? Something I have to have in my car, which I don't have anymore. Or.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Also, if it isn't too late to vote on instruments that I'd like to see in GPO are saxes - at least an alto and tenor solo. (I have saxes in JABB, but they are of limited usefulness for classical sounding pieces).
    Classical saxes are included in Garritan Concert and Marching Band (GCMB).

Go Back to forum