• Register
  • Help

Topic: moving to new computer. How do I deactivate?

Share/Bookmark

moving to new computer. How do I deactivate?

Hi,
    I just bought a new computer and I'm transfering all my applications to this new one.

There are some apps that I need to "deactivate" or "deauthorize" before I can install them on my new computer. (Finale is one of them)

I wonder about GPO and Kontakt Player 2, as well as full Kontakt 2, ie all those apps and libraries that are activated in the NI service center. Do I need to "deactivate" those? I cant find any button in the Service center that allows me to do this.

/Albert

Re: moving to new computer. How do I deactivate?

Hi Albert, I have several Garritan libraries and Finale 2009 on two computers currently. The products that involve Native Instruments are all allowed 2 separate computer profiles (desktop & laptop) which are monitored by installing the NI Service Center on your computer. The license agreement allows two installations but states that the product can only be used on one at a time. Which allows users to have a "mobile" setup for use when away from their studio. No deactivation should be necessary for you unless you already have the products installed on 2 systems, in which case de-activation can be carried out at the NI website.
    I understand that changing a component on your computer will not necessitate de-activation unless it involves the CPU or motherboard. So changing a drive, soundcard, or external audio/midi device won't need a new activation.

I don't think you will have any problems with your new Finale installation, but if it doesn't automatically happen when you install, I recommend contacting by e-mail or phone the MakeMusic folks. But I don't think you have to de-activate anything first, unless you have already used the two activations they allow. If you will no longer be using the products on your old computer you will have to contact them to de-activate the old registration though.

It all should be smooth sailing for you by installing the Service Center when you add the first NI product to your new computer and then using it to activate and update the software. John

Hi John,
    sorry for not being clear about my computer setup.

I do have Finale and all my other music software installed on two different computers already (my "old" G5 and my MacBook). My replacement for the G5 is a Mac Pro.

I had to search a lot on the NI website before I found the answer:

All software that are activated with the NI Service Center do NOT the to be deauthorized. (They want you to uninstall the software on your old computer so you don't violate your license agreement.) You can just erase them on the old computer and install them again on your new. (If I remember correctly, you used to be able to "deauthorize" your products on the NI website but this doesn't seem to be possible anymore.)

Finale, on the other hand, needs to be "deautorized" on the old computer before you can install it on your new (I have already used the other Finale license on my MacBook). This is done very easy inside Finale with just one click.

So far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed so that the rest of my installation will procede as smoothly as these first applications...
    /A

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Schnelzer View Post
    Hi,
    I just bought a new computer and I'm transfering all my applications to this new one.

There are some apps that I need to "deactivate" or "deauthorize" before I can install them on my new computer. (Finale is one of them)

I wonder about GPO and Kontakt Player 2, as well as full Kontakt 2, ie all those apps and libraries that are activated in the NI service center. Do I need to "deactivate" those? I cant find any button in the Service center that allows me to do this.

/Albert
    I uninstall the NI products and run the Service Center again. That seems to work.

Go Back to forum