• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT - I'm just asking for a world of prayers

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy OT - I'm just asking for a world of prayers

For our GED teacher's son. Here is a brief bio and description of Simon's rare disease.

Simon is a 6 year old that loves playing in 18 mile creek. He is a member of the Hamburg Hot Shots 4H club and has many projects and he likes to do with his friends in that group. He likes hanging out with his Mom and Dad and is really close to his brother Jordan (age 11) and sister Selena (age 9). He loves legos of any types and has gotten quite good on his play station 2. He also enjoys walking in the woods over at his grand father's farm and fishing anywhere for Blue gills. He is just like his father with interest in old farm tractors. He loves it when he gets to ride on either grandpa George's big tractor or dad's little tractor. He also enjoys playing with Max the cat and Willow the dog. He has a very large collection of Webkins and stuffed animals. He is also an excellent student in 1st grade at Lakeshore School district in Highland Elementary. He even like reading chapter books, but would rather do I-spy.

On Feb 7 we went to a well visit. Simon had been having some bruising that we didn't like so Jenn mentioned it to the doctor. The Dr didn't seem to think much about it but ordered blood tests to be sure. Jenn went to a lab where a friend worked and had the tests done. Simon's numbers were extremely low. We went right to Children's hospital er. We were admitted for 6 days while they tried to figure out what was wrong. They did a bone marrow biopsy and found that he had only 8% functioning. He has aplastic anemia. This is a rare disease that can happen for different reasons. In Simon's case, his immune system has attacked his bone marrow and destroyed it. When they repeated the biopsy 2 weeks later he had even less functioning. This disease only affects less than 500 people in the USA a year. Most can be treated with drugs. In Simon's case, he was too far gone. His only hope was a bone marrow transplant. Luckily his older brother Jordan is a perfect match. With the transplant, barring any complications, Simon should be cured. We went from abnormal bloodwork to transplant in 4 weeks. Apparently that speed is unheard of. Usually they mess around with drugs and such first. Simon does not have time for that. If his brother was not a match, we don't think Simon would survive long while we looked for another. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about that. He had 4 days of intensive chemotherapy to destroy what's left of his bone marrow. Then Jordan will came in for harvest and transplant. Simon seems to be doing well with the treatment and all the poking and prodding. We will stay in the hospital for at least 4 weeks to wait for Simon's counts to rise. Hopefully this will work.

The staff at Hopevale School is having a benefit for Simon in April to help ease the financial burden his treatment caused. All I am asking from all of you is a prayer our Simon continues a positive road to recovery.

Thank you.
    Styxx
    Styxx

Re: OT - I'm just asking for a world of prayers

Simon will be in my prayers. I hope he will fully recover, as soon as possible.
    Pierre Laroche

I will be sure to do so. I wish him all the best and a full recovery.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Likewise, Styxx.......it sounds hopeful for him!

My prayers and best got out to Simon and his family. I pray all will be well with him.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hey Styxx,

Gosh, it seems like just when I get feeling sorry for myself about one thing or another, some story like this one of little Simon's comes along and gives me a big dope slap. We'll put him on the prayer chain at our church. Not sure how much good it does, but it is somehow comforting. Please know that I'm thinking of him, and wish him all the best.

Perhaps there is an address where we can send Simon a card?

And what a brave boy his brother is. These transplants are no fun. OUCH!

karl

I will pray for him and his family, there's a mass on my campus every Tuesday night - I'll make sure to offer an intention for him tomorrow. May God keep him strong.

Tyler

Thank you for letting us know, Styxx. Kate and I have Simon in our thoughts. Keep us abreast of developments, please.

Randy

He's a pretty tough 6 year old for sure! The most promising part of this is his age. His body is still growing and I believe the healing process just needed a jump start and that being his brother.

I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for Simon. This forum has the best of the best!

Love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Styxx

poor little guy, I have prayed for him and his family too.
    Dan

Go Back to forum