• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: No response to CC#01

Share/Bookmark

No response to CC#01

I can't get the Garritan Authorized Steinway to respond to CC#01 when I use it with Sonar 8. Also, the proportional sustain does not work at all. It's either full off or full on with no in-between.

Are these known issues or am I the only one who is having these problems?

Thanks and regards.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: No response to CC#01

Hi Larry
    If I recall correctly, you've got the Steinway Basic, which by design doesn't make any change of release sample volume in response to CC01 - simply because Basic doesn't use release samples. This may change in the future, but for the moment release samples are a Standard or Pro feature.
    The proportional pedal does function somewhat right now, but the original implementation doesn't address some of the most important things about proportional pedaling, and so it's something I've been working on fixing, probably for v1.05. Fyi, the sooner release v1.04 will fix problems some people have had under certain configurations/sequencers with sustain resonance.

If that is the case, then this is useless to me! This shortcoming wasn't brought to anyone's attention as far as I know.

How is it possible to put any expression into renderings without the use of CC#01? If I had known about this, I wouldn't have bought it.

Will this be corrected in the future or am I just stuck with it?
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    How is it possible to put any expression into renderings without the use of CC#01? If I had known about this, I wouldn't have bought it.
    Hi Larry, I know you already know this, but since a piano is a velocity triggered (percussion) instrument, there was never a need to control modwheel for natural sound.

The velocities determine the sample triggered in all version of the Garritan Steinway.

Jeff decided it would be a nice feature for Standard and Pro version users to be able to control the "release samples" with the mod wheel. Ideally, this ability to control the release triggered samples, is used properly when the modwheel is set to a desired level and left there for the entire performance.
    Even though CC1 mod wheel is continuously variable, this is not something that should change during a performance.

Since release samples are the samples that contain most of the room ambience, some users complained that the hall it was recorded in was too evident, even in the "under lid" samples.

By setting the modwheel to a position that eliminates the release samples, it also eliminates the room's reverb.

There is a big difference between the Standard and Pro versions compared to the "basic", hence the additional cost.

I still believe the Garritan Steinway is miles ahead of any other sampled piano.

Maybe Jeff can further address your question.
    Dan

I think you might mean cc07 or cc11? cc01 is mod wheel, which is currently used in pro and standard versions for controlling the release sample volume, and the mod wheel control of release sample volume is new as of v1.03.
    If you meant cc07 or cc11, it's likely to be a fairly easy item that I most likely can add for v1.04, which will be out in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    I think you might mean cc07 or cc11? cc01 is mod wheel, which is currently used in pro and standard versions for controlling the release sample volume, and the mod wheel control of release sample volume is new as of v1.03.
    If you meant cc07 or cc11, it's likely to be a fairly easy item that I most likely can add for v1.04, which will be out in a few weeks.
    I'm talking about CC#01. With almost every sampled instrument that I own, I use it for note attack. Are you saying that I could use CC#11 for the same purpose?

I don't use a music keyboard for entering notes, therefore I don't use a modwheel, of course.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks, Mr. Dan, for your message.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Is this all straightened out now? - Larry, you've used the Pianos in GPO and JABB, and like all percussion instruments except some recorded drum rolls, those have always had their expression volume controlled only by velocity. So what you have working in the basic Steinway is just as in the Pianos you've already used in the other Libraries.

Mod wheel controlling the release samples has been explained here on the thread - a new addition to the other versions of the Steinway.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Is this all straightened out now? - Larry, you've used the Pianos in GPO and JABB, and like all percussion instruments except some recorded drum rolls, those have always had their expression volume controlled only by velocity. So what you have working in the basic Steinway is just as in the Pianos you've already used in the other Libraries.

Mod wheel controlling the release samples has been explained here on the thread - a new addition to the other versions of the Steinway.

Randy
    The velocity DOES NOT WORK with the new Steinway in Sonar 8. At least for me it doesn't. I always tweak everything I write in the piano roll view of Sonar by changing the velocity of notes. That function does not work with the new Steinway as it does with all of the other sampled instruments that I own.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry, this thread has been about CC1 and the Steinway. Now you're saying the Velocity doesn't work. - Did you mean to be talking about velocity from the start?

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast