• Register
  • Help

Topic: Plug-In Installation HELL

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Plug-In Installation HELL

I am so frustrated right now...some venting is due.

I purchased Omnisphere & Ivory and am trying to get them installed on my new Mac Pro 8core 2.93GHz (Nehalem) and Logic 8.

Omnisphere doesn't authorize in Logic despite showing up in the Audio Units Manager. I've tried all the tricks, updating the software to the latest, removing the Components &VST file to the Desktop, starting, stopping logic, replacing them in their proper places and restarting Logic. No dice. VoiceMail support says it will likely be 3 freaking days before I get some help.

Maybe Ivory will be better. Let's try it. Nope, Installer fails with "run postflight script for InterLok Extensions" Contact the Software Manufacturer for assistance. Nothing on Synthology's website. Can't talk to a real person, leave a voicemail.

I have f*$(#$*g had it with crappy EXPENSIVE software that is not tested and needs a call to support to get the thing to just INSTALL!!!

Epilogue: Turned out to be a dumb user error once I got past the Ivory installer error w/ new ILok drivers.

Spindrift

Re: Plug-In Installation HELL

I know this is exactly what you do not want to hear. But to share a contrasting experience...Omnisphere installed great on my MAC the first time. So...to say that these things are not tested is a bit unfair. BUT...as far as Ivory goes...do you have the latest iLok extensions installed? I do not have Ivory, but a friend of mine does. I forget if it needs an iLok or not for authorization....but sometimes even the programs that do not need a physical iLok, still need the extensions installed for the challenge/response authorization to work properly.

go to www.iLok.com and install the latest version of the extensions and then try to re-install Ivory and see if that helps.

As far as Omnisphere...why are you using VST and not audio units for one? Are you on the latest version of Logic as well? I would assume so if you are on an intel MAC PRO. There was some problem with logic and Omnisphere I thought...but it got worked out with the latest version. Maybe...do you have another host where you can start Omnisphere in first and authorize it from there? Even if you can not authorize it from the first time you run it...I believe it will run in Demo mode just fine for a few days. But if you are saying that Logic will not even see the plug-in...I am not sure there. Is there a way to force Logic to re-scan all of your plug-ins? In Digital performer one can delete the audio unit cache file and force a rescan of everything from scratch to rebuild the file. Sometimes this has to be done to see new plugs if things start to be funky.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Brian

Is this with the new mac pro? That is what he is refering to
    Mac OSX 6 / Logic 9 / Cubase 5 / Ableton / Omnisphere / Stylus Rmx / Trillion / Komplete / Groove Agent / Kontrol 49 / UC 33e / Euphonix MC Mix n Control

Brian, thanks for the reply. Untested....maybe it's tested but I always worry when I have to call tech support just to get a product installed. I'm a computer consultant by trade so I know my way around these things and know robust software when I see it. That said, I've never SEEN Omnisphere which is my entire problem

Thanks for the tip on the iLok stuff. I installed the latest drivers and re-tried the installation and it has skipped past the stage where I got the previous error.

Yes, new 8 core Intel Nehalem Mac Pro.

Spindrift

IMHO that you deal with each plug/ problem seperately.

I can only comment on Omni - do not have ivory.

Close logic.
    Put all the .components back where they are supposed to be (exactly). There should be no need to fak with those.
    Make some tea.
    Restart your mac.
    Drink tea.

Open logic -> new project
    create a software instrument track
    open an instance of Omni

Omni will then ask you to Register or go Demo mode.

Does this not happen?
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by arafel View Post
    IMHO that you deal with each plug/ problem seperately.

I can only comment on Omni - do not have ivory.

Close logic.
    Put all the .components back where they are supposed to be (exactly). There should be no need to fak with those.
    Make some tea.
    Restart your mac.
    Drink tea.

Open logic -> new project
    create a software instrument track
    open an instance of Omni

Omni will then ask you to Register or go Demo mode.

Does this not happen?

OK, this is embarrassing, but how does one open an instance of Omni? I goto the Library and expect to see it as an instrument....Ivory too?

If this is simply me not knowing how to start a plug-in, I have a lot of words to eat on this board!!!!!

Omnisphere installed fine here. Took hours but worked.

Hi..In Logic create a software instrument if there isn't one..Uncheck open library unless you want to see it..Omni isn't in there anyway..To toggle the library view Option/L Good to know is why...At bottom left you should see a channel strip.If not clik "I" to open the inspector...Now the blank box under I/O is were you want to clik..This opens your software instruments...Scroll down to AU Instruments then Spectrasonics then Omnisphere...

I understand the frustration..We have all experienced it..Glenn O had to help me with my instal right here on this board...I think Messe is this week so Spectrasonics most likely there...Let us know how you make out.. JON

Smile Re: Plug-In Installation HELL

OK, Spindrift here EATING HIS WORDS!!!

Newbie error...not knowing how to use Logic to the extent necessary to USE the plug-ins. Thank you Jon & everyone for the help on this. Updating the ILok drivers worked solving the Ivory installer issue.

My apologies for the mis-directed rants!

Spindrift

NP Spindrift...

Glad you got your plugs working.

User error, well, that is what posting is for.
    Takes a good User to own up to it, and repost.
    Thanks.
    Enjoy Omni!
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Go Back to forum