• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: about authorisations to publish an arrangement

Share/Bookmark

about authorisations to publish an arrangement

First of all, sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong forum but I need advice on something and was referred to this website by a friend who told me some people here might be able to know.

I've arranged a French horn tribute to John Williams for which I would like to publish the sheet music.
    To do so I need authorisation from none other than Warner, Universal and Sony..only to learn today from Universal Music Publishing that Mr Williams "does not approve outside arrangements for publication." Now this answer's a little weird given the number of JW arrangements that can be found out there..
    So I'm just wondering how the whole procedure of " giving authorisations to publish an arrangement of copyrighted material" works exactly, and why did Universal answer me this..

Hope somebody here will know a little more about it !

Re: about authorisations to publish an arrangement

I don't know if it helps, but Hal Leonard publishes alot of JW's music. Maybe talking to them might be a place to start.

Steve Winkler

Thanks, that could help indeed !
    I contacted them, now waiting for their answer..!

Quote Originally Posted by marc-p View Post
    Thanks, that could help indeed !
    I contacted them, now waiting for their answer..!
    Hello Marc-p,

I asked about the same here and got an answer, that I have to contact the Society for the Protection of the Rights of Music Authors and Publishers (or any similar organization in your country), which will arrange the appropriate approval (with possible terms and conditions) for you. The same applies to the CD release etc. It seems difficult, but should be quite easy considering so many "re-arrangements" of world popular themes. In general, there should be no problem unless you totally change the character of the piece (say, lithurgical work turn on black-metal etc.). Anyway, let us know, what Hal Leonard will reply to you. Good luck!
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

I guess that would be the SACEM in France.
    I sent them an email, I think they should definitely know about it !
    Thanks for that advice !

Marc,

I believe all the official John Williams printed sheet music arrangements are all Hal Leonard. So Hal Leonard would be the company to contact for publishing sheet music.

Now when it comes to publishing audio recordings, then this would fall under mechanical rights. SECAM would probably be the organization for this.

BTW, I've really been enjoying the John Williams and Neal Morse arrangements. I'm one of the Neal Morse Inner Circle members.

Jim

Hey Haydn12, small world !

Concerning Hal Leonard, they say on their website's FAQ : " Hal Leonard Corporation does not accept or review unsolicited material for publication consideration.We produce our publications and products utilizing the talents and skills of an established group of composers, arrangers, transcribers, authors, producers, and editors."
    I've asked them anyway for any info regarding copyrights/arrangements, still waiting for an answer..!

Hi marc-p,

any progress with your authorization request? I am sure, that not only me would wonder what response did you get (if ever any )...

Thanks and good luck,
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.

Well...after lots of phone calls and emails..I learnt that the SACEM ( the Society which manages rights of music in France ) couldn't do anything for me.They told me I had to contact Warner, Universal and such..which I had already done without any results.
    Now it seems that Hal Leonard is the way to go to obtain authorisations to publish an arrangement of ANY John Williams work.
    So I wrote down a list of every JW themes and cues my tribute is composed of and sent it to Hal Leonard a few days ago.
    Now awaiting..15 days minimum before any answer..we'll see !

Hi marc-p,

reading your peripetia, it would probably be the best to publish your arrangements "as is" and simply wait until the appropriate party will contact you on its own (if ever at all). Today's laws and rules are so complicated, that it works against both musicians and audience. Golden "good old" baroque!

In any way, please, keep us updated about your progress.

For now, good luck,
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.

Go Back to forum