• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: First Impressions of VotA

Share/Bookmark

First Impressions of VotA

I like it.

Lots of natural sounding control, lots of tweaker things to do.

Consonants are a little wierd but I found a few things that work to help them other than jsut turning the volume down. It is difficult to build words with them. However I never thought that it would be possible to get \"up close and personal\" results that were believable withut putting htem in a mix with other instruments. However the amount of options might make it possible to layer a few REAL voices on top and get a VERY expressive, impressive, and HUGE choir sound.

Added EG Mod control to the attacks, and they sound great.

Kind of \"iffy\" on my opinion of the release triggers. I think they sound great, but without them I can actually mimic a \"closer\" sound. Which isn\'t to say the distant sound is bad, in fact its wonderful, I just like more options. So I may remove them for alternate instruments...also save me poly.

There are a couple of issues...but I dont think they make the library bad...ust certain character issues I have with certain notes. Mostly consonants. Many of them have \"ah\" sounds that dont mix well too loud with other vowels. Especially \"oh\" in Women\'s because it sounds so much like \"ah\" at higher dynamics. Careful shortening helps this, but its probbly my biggest frustration so far.

Anyhow its, much better than ECC in my opinion. Not as much variety as SoV, but still it seems to be a winner for me so far. Curious to see how Pure choir will be, but VotA is now my first choice for big choir sounds.

Big Thumbs up Nick!

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Re: First Impressions of VotA

Very nice Nick.

Bottom Line: Worth the price, but not a replacement for SoV.

Since I own Symphony of Voices, I\'ll use it as a reference.

Word Building
    -------------
    Man this is sweet. As King mentioned, it is not easy to do...but the possibilities are endless if one is willing to spend the time. Some of the consonants do have trailing vowels that you\'ll want to cut/fade out depending on the vowel that follows. Nick, this is a great feature! I have some Hebrew phrases that I want to create, but the gutterals are going to be a challenge.

Non-Vibrato Men and Women
    -------------------------
    SoV\'s non-vibrato samples come out on top in my opinion. VotA\'s are good, but they lack the same presence. Some of this is probably the processing and cathedral\'s they were recorded in I imagine. A big plus, however, for VotA is that there is hardly any processing done on the samples which gives you a real bright sound by default. Also in the VotA library, in the higher pitched samples, more vibrato appears in the samples. This is probably natural for a singer, but the SoV library is pretty good at maintaining non-vibrato even in higher pitches.

Vibrato Men and Women
    ---------------------
    Another very big plus in the VotA library. Sov doesn\'t have it (on purpose). I am working on an idependent horror/suspense film and these samples make me an extremely happy composer. I like the use of the modwheel in fading between the non-vibrato and vibrato samples.

Small Women Choir (Angels)
    --------------------------
    Very nice!! Again, SoV doesn\'t have anything like this. SoV does have a solo woman, but nothing like this. Very usable.

Misc
    ----
    Also included is a staccato patch for the men and woman, shouts, and clusters. Not bad, but nothing close to the variety that SoV offers (swells, murmuring, wispering, etc.) Also SoV has Gregorian, Boys, Pop (Enyaish) and phrases. A plus for VotA is that it has a more complete vowel set than does SoV (e.g., the \'ih\' sound).

Well, that\'s just my opinion from about 30 minutes of playing around. For me it is a must buy, but so is SoV. Not everyone will want to spend that much on two libraries, so I would say you would want to base it on the application you are composing for.

I have been extremely pleased with passed Quantum Leap libraries (Brass,Guitar&Bass,Rare) and it seems I have purchased another winner. Thanks Nick.

\"Added EG Mod control to the attacks, and they sound great.\"

King,

Could you go into more detail about this?

EG MOD?

Thanks

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    fbelardino@audiovisionsonline.com

Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

www.audiovisionsonline.com

Thanks for the reviews. King, maybe you could share some of your programming tweaks so I can include them on my upcoming web pages. I will be making articulation files for VotA available for download soon.
    As far as the SoVoices comparison goes, I agree. But, when you start to put VotA into tracks, you will find that the mellower samples sound more like voices than SOVoices samples do. Thats because of a lack of autotuning. Anyway, SOVoices can be really useful for sparse mellow arrangements.
    I might as well announce the upcoming release of Voices of the Apocalypse 2. It will be out in a few months (3-5). It will include boys choir and some other things that will blow minds. I kid you not! It is a complementary library. The 2 libraries will be a complete choir resource and then some.

Jubal

You had mentioned word building.

How is this possible? How do you build words wuth SOV?

Share some light please as its dark in here

Caveman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jubal:
    Very nice Nick.

Bottom Line: Worth the price, but not a replacement for SoV.

Since I own Symphony of Voices, I\'ll use it as a reference.

Word Building
    -------------
    Man this is sweet. As King mentioned, it is not easy to do...but the possibilities are endless if one is willing to spend the time. Some of the consonants do have trailing vowels that you\'ll want to cut/fade out depending on the vowel that follows. Nick, this is a great feature! I have some Hebrew phrases that I want to create, but the gutterals are going to be a challenge.

Non-Vibrato Men and Women
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jubal,

Agree with everything you\'ve said about SoV compared to VotA. I\'d love a \"smaller and up closer\" sound of SoV with the depth of VotA\'s coexpression and consonant features. Mind you ..as an OPTION.. I love th \"huge\" sound that VotA has and of course thats what Nick was relly going for. Nick might be on the ball with smaller ones in VotA 2 tho

Francis,
    EGMod is a tab in the GigaEditor that allows you to set the control of the attack to aGPC. I set it to GPC 2. On the Piano samples its set to the third \"notch\" and on the forte its set to the 4th. This way you get an \"automatic\" fade from piano to forte with the GPC pulled down (inverted mode), sounds great at about halfway. I also get to move attacks up in between phrases to get different attack variations. Also this sets up teh release triggers to ahve attack control as well. which is great if you want soft quick attacks...so the release triggers dont \"jump in\"

Anyhow, Nick\'s offering art files soon which might have these, if not I\'ll give them to him to put up.

Nick,

I just got this sucker today so I haven\'t been able to get the tweaks all perfect. Its mostly left overs tweaks I foudn that worked with other chor libraies and such. They are all working pretty good, but one or to notes here and there are out of whack. I also am considering going in and doign some sample editing. Stretching out the consonants for even more variety and other things. As for your update,...WHEEE!!!

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 11-30-2001).]

Caveman,

Sorry if I gave the impression that you can build words with SoV, not possible. Although I am now experimenting with using some of VotA\'s consonants with SoV\'s vowels. This is fun!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caveman:
    Jubal

You had mentioned word building.

How is this possible? How do you build words wuth SOV?

Share some light please as its dark in here

Caveman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

King,

Thanks for the tips. They would be useful with GOS as well.

\"Hands on\" attacks. Very cool!! I found slowing up attacks on VotA gives me a more mellow sound. I like that.

I believe GOS will have updates soon as well.

Hi Nick,

Any thought on price, just yet, for VotA 2?
    Also, the smaller female section is working wonders for me. As you may remeber the sample I sent you... it\'s getting more and more real!

PS. King, if you get a second and you are on high speed... check out our completed website for the studio. I would love you feedback.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    fbelardino@audiovisionsonline.com

Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

www.audiovisionsonline.com

Voices of the Apocalypse 2 will be less of a bread and library. It will be more eclectic and probably 5 disks or so. I will be very thorough with the boys choir. Price depends on many things. I have no idea about the price.

Fair enough.

Best of luck.

Go Back to forum