• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Farewell Nocturne steinway

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Farewell Nocturne steinway

Hi everyone,

I’m finally back! I have so much music to get caught up on I don’t know where to start. But,..first off, I want to thank everybody that responded to my “Old fashion Waltz and Serenade piece. I’ve been away from my home for a couple months and didn’t have access to the internet so I missed your posts.
    So,

I’ve already responded to Gary, but thank you again Gary for your kudos on this piece, it was really unexpected but very much appreciated.

Ron---Thanks for your “heap of praise” pyramid”! Although I’m not sure if I’m on top of the heap or at the bottom of it……..probably the bottom.

Jun, I was tickled pink to read your post. Our music is quite different, but if you enjoyed this, I thank you very much. It was so much fun to write.

Raymond, See I’m responding before 2012, a real feat for me seeing that I procrastinate on about everything. Seriously, coming from a man who wrote a fantastic symphony, this means a lot. A symphony is no easy feat either and you mastered it and wrote it, it seams, right out of the hat. All 4 movements work together as a unit so well, and each movement has meticulous form and structure to it---essential if you are to write a great symphony. So well done! I’ll listen to it again soon; there’s so much to sink your teeth into. Loved it!

And Randy, Again, coming from a man who already has a smash hit musical feather in his cap--- okay,..top hat………… these are very kind words indeed! Thanks for listening to my little piece.

Now for this piece. 2009 has not started off in stellar mode for me. Like many people, I’ve seen my income cut in half and I’m scrambling to make ends meet. Then I had a family emergency that took me away from my home for a couple months. I just got back home…..so good to be home! For those of you who remember my first posting on this forum, “Walt’s Waltz” the inspiration was my 3-legged dog ,Walt, who passed away at the beginning of the year.

He was an exceptional dog and I miss him terribly. Not only was he incredibly smart, but had a way of picking me up when nobody else could do so. He could tell if I was having a bad day, and would come over to me and put his paw up on my shoulder and just hold it there while staring into my eyes. If he could talk he would be asking me how he could help me out. For those of you who are dog lovers, you know how painful it is to loose your friend.

When I got home I hadn’t touched a piano or any instrument in a couple months so I wanted to write a short piece. I was thinking about Walt and this piece came out. It gives me a kind of closure and will help me remember him for the rest of my life. It is a very short piece and I’m somewhat rusty at the piano having been away from it for so long, but I hope you can enjoy it despite this. I’ve included the sheet music for those of you who might be interested.

So for anyone who has lost a special pet or person in their past, this piece is for you too.

Cass

Farewell Nocturne (audio)
    Farewell Nocturne (score)

Re: Farewell Nocturne steinway

Cass:

A really great tribute to your "friend" and such a wonderful
    piece in itself. I loved the middle part the best, but the whole
    composition reminds me of some of the works of Chopin. Your
    accompaniment and especially your harmonic changes are very
    reminiscent of Chopin's style of writing. Great work here.

Sorry to hear of your adversity in life, Cass. We all go through
    periods like this, but remember you have two things that will
    stand by you........your friends
    here and your music.

Great listening, Cass.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cass, Your farewell is a beautiful piece and just right for remembering an old friend like your Walt. Thanks for sharing and welcome back! John

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."
    M.Facklam

Hi Cass, it has been a while since last time, your piece transmit love and nostalgia. I´m sorry about your friend, is a beautiful tribute. You played with great feeling, elegance and sincerity.

Victor

Cass,

Good to see you back!

With this piece I could hear how you miss your lost friend, the happy times you had together, the way you played and had fun.

A lovely composition, well written and well expressed!

Thanks for sharing.

~Yudit~

I am unashamedly shedding tears of joy and I don't care who knows it!
    That's real class, Mr. Cass. Beautiful, skillful playing and rendering. I enjoyed it very much. Wow! Wow!

Did I forget to say Wow?

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Absolutely top drawer - emotionally and technically. Thank you for sharing such inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post

the whole
    composition reminds me of some of the works of Chopin. Your
    accompaniment and especially your harmonic changes are very
    reminiscent of Chopin's style of writing. Great work here.

Jack
    Hi Jack,

You’re such an astute fella; Yes, I was trying to capture the essence of Chopin in this piece which shows as such in my title regarding Nocturne. I know John Field really invented the piano nocturne, but it is Chopin that most people think of when you say Nocturne. Chopin’s Nocturne music, at least for me, is very close to what I envision when I write extremely expressive, gentle and lyrical piano music, hence resulting in the harmonic and left-hand accompaniment similarities you so noted.

Thanks for reminding me of what is really important in life. One can never hear it to often. In this hectic world of ours, we quite often forget to breathe and reflect on all the good parts of our life that still surround us, even in adversity.

Thanks my friend,

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."
    M.Facklam
    Oh John, I love that quote at the bottom of your post…it is so true. Thanks for commiserating with me on my loss. I did bring home a new puppy and he definitely helps my demeanor, although I’ve forgotten how much work puppies are. But Walt will always be in my thoughts and this piece helps preserves those thoughts.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by mrkeyboard View Post
    Hi Cass, it has been a while since last time, your piece transmit love and nostalgia. I´m sorry about your friend, is a beautiful tribute. You played with great feeling, elegance and sincerity.

Victor
    Victor,

Yes it has been awhile. Thanks for expressing what you felt in the piece. It is what I was trying to portray in its small confines. I never really know sometimes if what I write expresses what I’m feeling. So thanks for the reinforcement.

I don’t get to play much piano these days, so the fingers really don’t do what I tell them to do or what I remember that they can do, but at least they performed good enough to warrant your approval. That means a lot coming from such an extremely talented artist as yourself.

My best,

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast