• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 4 lives

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 4 lives

Ok this is very interesting news that Garritan has bought Giga! Congrats on your purchase Mr Garritan! I hope you have future plans to 'liberate' Tascam!

Now that this product is alive again ( with service behind it now!) I have a couple of (well, three) questions about Giga 4:

1. Does this work well in its current form?
    2. Is it still for sale anywhere?
    3. how well does it convert/play Kontakt instruments?

This can only be good for the industry - I think monopolies tend to stagnate things.

Re: Gigastudio 4 lives

As I read it, Garritan has purchased the technology assets, but I'm not sure that means he's going to keep the Giga product line intact as is. It could mean that certain parts of those products, specifically .gig importing, start to appear in Garritan products, or perhaps a new Garritan product. Of course, I'm just speculating like everyone else at this point. Time will tell.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

This is from the FAQ on the GigaStudio site:

Q. Will Garritan support existing GigaStudio customers?

A. While we cannot provide support of products under the TEAC/Tascam or Nemesys brands, any new products under the Garritan brand will be supported. We are not in a position to pick up support from TEAC as we acquired the technology assets only.

One possibility is a community-maintained Giga support forum on Northern Sounds (www.northernsounds.com) where existing users of legacy products can support each other. Northern Sounds started as the first Giga forum "of Giga users for Giga users" back in 1999. It may be the perfect place to revive a community-based support forum and re-energize the user base.

Q. Will Giga be revived?

A. It would be highly impractical to execute an immediate revival as there are reputedly two million lines of code we need to evaluate and analyze. Some of the legacy code is old and in need of updating and we face technical challenges. With most of the original development team who created Giga gone and working for other companies, development obviously cannot continue from where it left off with TEAC.

Of course, if we can revive some of the Giga products and if it makes sense, we will do it. Some things might possibly be marketed in a form close to its Giga counterpart but others will be merged at our discretion with the ARIA technology.

One example is Gigapulse which could possibly be developed sooner than other offerings, and in a form similar to its Giga counterpart. The Gigapulse technology has enormous merit, and we may take steps to re-brand it and develop our large library of impulses for it.

In short, we are determining how to best position Giga technology for future products. We are evaluating the code, consulting with experts and with users, and fully exploring our options to see what is feasible. Obviously, this process takes time.

Jim

thanks for the info and your points of view Paul and Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by upsider View Post
    Ok this is very interesting news that Garritan has bought Giga! Congrats on your purchase Mr Garritan! I hope you have future plans to 'liberate' Tascam!

Now that this product is alive again ( with service behind it now!) I have a couple of (well, three) questions about Giga 4:

1. Does this work well in its current form?
    2. Is it still for sale anywhere?
    3. how well does it convert/play Kontakt instruments?

This can only be good for the industry - I think monopolies tend to stagnate things.
    It sucks. CM Magazine gave it a 6/10 and they are often kind in their reviews.
    If you don't do any sample editing, GVI would be the better product.

Go Back to forum