• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Praising His Way (Jazz)

Share/Bookmark

Praising His Way (Jazz)

Here's a snappy chart I'm kinda attached to, Praising His Way. I did this song long enough ago that unfortunately I don't remember much about how it came about. What I do recall is when I did this song I was thinking I didn't have a song with a strong alto sax lead playing the melody. I've been partial to the trumpet and trombone in my other songs and thought this would be a good one to center-stage the alto sax. The alto sax is what I played mostly (Selmer Mk 6) and wanting to hear more of it turned me towards the Swing Era when all my friends listened to rock music growing up. Anyway, here's Praising His Way which is a light bossa-nova swing featuring the alto sax on melody and solo followed by a piano solo which is kind of interesting. The piano solo is played by a friend who does cocktail lounge playing of sorts. We midi'd it into the computer and I think this is the JABB piano or possibly Gigastudio's LE piano. Most of the instruments are JABB with some other sample libraries being used. I try not to have two instruments from the same library in the same section. Praising His Way is just a little over 4 minutes long. Have fun listening!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=7481634

Rich Garber
    Living Waters Jazz

Re: Praising His Way (Jazz)

Hi Rich,

My interests lean toward jazz so this is a most welcome offering on the site; thanks for posting it. I actually listened to it the 1st night you posted it, but there has been sooooo much music posted lately; hard to find the time to respond to everything I'd like to.

I know you said it was a while ago, but what is the instrumentation ... sounds like alto, tenor, & baritone sax, trumpet and trombone? Whatever it is, its a nice size ... not too big, not too small. Your friend's piano solo was perfect!

Also, whose trumpet is that ... doesn't sound like the JABB one(s)?

Very nice, clean and live-sounding mix ... I enjoyed this.

Regards,

Frank

Thumbs up Re: Praising His Way (Jazz)

Lovely!!!!

Youve improved so much since East metro rollin'.....which i enjoy by the way!

That trumpet sounds like the jabb one with alot more spice....

My favourite part is when the trombones start playing in the beginning....

Just before the piano, the bongos in the drum track became more evident...
    WOW it had me in goosebumps!

You truly are a talented musician! Keep wowing us!

Ive got a little advice though.....

You could put in perhaps a wee bit of extra reverb over the whole track....just to make it a little thicker and to put the whole band in an environment...but not too much...try about half as much wetness as dryness, guaranteed more goosebumps!!!

Another thing....the snares,
    Remember to make the velocity points flow in a wave when doing a fast drumroll...

The bass is amazing but remember that the bass can give more rhythm to a song than even your drums can. So try to keep your bass in good syncopated rhythm with the song.

BRAVO!

Hi Rich, This was fun to listen to, has a great feel and flow to it. John

Very nice - I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Rich,

My interests lean toward jazz so this is a most welcome offering on the site; thanks for posting it. I actually listened to it the 1st night you posted it, but there has been sooooo much music posted lately; hard to find the time to respond to everything I'd like to.

I know you said it was a while ago, but what is the instrumentation ... sounds like alto, tenor, & baritone sax, trumpet and trombone? Whatever it is, its a nice size ... not too big, not too small. Your friend's piano solo was perfect!

Also, whose trumpet is that ... doesn't sound like the JABB one(s)?

Very nice, clean and live-sounding mix ... I enjoyed this.

Regards,

Frank
    Hi Frank!

Thanks for saying that, I thought jazz got booted from the Listening Room myself and posted to that in the JABB forum. I wasn't sure if we were still posting jazz here or not.

Instrumentation is the saxes (1 of each), 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, bass, drum, guitar and piano. I think that makes 11 of us.

I get nervous about posting what libraries I use but the bulk of the band is JABB. So everything is jabb except, sometimes the piano is Gigastudio. I switch between JABB and Gigastudio on the piano. Why? I have no idea. It's more me remembering to do one or the other. Sometimes, like these songs, these are older arrangements I did and I'm revamping them. Rather than redo the lines I keep the samples the same.

The lead trumpet and lead alto sax are from CHH. The 2nd trombone is also CHH. I've been doing this since the late 90's and I found it best to not use the same sampler provider more than once in the same instrument section. This is one reason why I'm using only 2 trumpets and 2 trombones. I only have two libraries!! LOL!! Well.. it's a bit more involved than that.

So why do it the way I do? I play alto sax myself and I noticed my years in bands (mostly jazz bands) that no two players ever sound a like. But I noticed at some point that when a sample company makes a library they use a limited number of players. JABB is kinda odd to me because it looks like they focused in on different instrument makers. That's an interesting approach. And there are JABB sounds I haven't even experimented with yet. Though in some tonal aspects I do like the CHH sounds very much, I feel JABB compliments them or vice versa.

It's obvious to you all now that I have a very twisted method to my madness and if what I do doesn't already sound crazy enough I treat the sounds like real members of a band. In other words, my trumpet player has a bit of a ego and he's more aggressive than say my 2nd chair trumpet when he plays. My first trombonist, well, he's my Tommy Dorsey/Buddy Morrow guy. Sweet sounding trombonist, likely to play a more melodic solo than say the 2nd trombonist guy who gets a bit more radical and punchy with his solos. This I hope gives the band a stronger authenticity of a group of songs rather than treat the songs individually.

Thanks for asking!

Rich Garber
    Living Waters Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Lovely!!!!

Youve improved so much since East metro rollin'.....which i enjoy by the way!

That trumpet sounds like the jabb one with alot more spice....

My favourite part is when the trombones start playing in the beginning....

Just before the piano, the bongos in the drum track became more evident...
    WOW it had me in goosebumps!

You truly are a talented musician! Keep wowing us!

Ive got a little advice though.....

You could put in perhaps a wee bit of extra reverb over the whole track....just to make it a little thicker and to put the whole band in an environment...but not too much...try about half as much wetness as dryness, guaranteed more goosebumps!!!

Another thing....the snares,
    Remember to make the velocity points flow in a wave when doing a fast drumroll...

The bass is amazing but remember that the bass can give more rhythm to a song than even your drums can. So try to keep your bass in good syncopated rhythm with the song.

BRAVO!
    Hi Heckler,

Thanks for your feedback! Very encouraging. Yeah, you remember that East Metro diddy? Unfortunately it was a commercial thing I did for my business and I needed it done fast so I blew right through it. I've always been a big band kinda guy and never paid too much attention to combos. That was my first combo piece.

Okay, if you don't mind, let's talk mixing because I believe where myself and most people stumble is this very difficult art. In my previous mixes of these songs I used a variety of tools to create the 'aliveness' of the music. This round I'm using Perfect Space alone. I like what I'm getting better. But here's the thing that worries me. And I'm not even sure I can express this in writing but here goes. I do some equalization but 99% it's Perfect Space. My issue with increasing wetness is I start hearing a PA system like sound. I tend to prefer the sound I hear when I listen to Time Life Records, The Swing Era. All the sounds sound rich, very studio, but plush. I think they call it colorized. It doesn't have any of the PA sound like I hear when I start ratcheting up the wetness. I sure wish I had everything opened so I could tell you my settings.

I hate to admit it but that's me on the drums. *shame* I just met a real drummer who might help me out on the drum tracks. See, what I did was to buy a digital drum set because my own drum tracks sound so canned. No life to them at all. So I thought if I played a more natural and spontaneous element would be introduced into the song. Well, spontaneous I'm getting and correcting all that spontaniety(?) ... how embarrassing. I'm a sax/bassoon player with some drum set experience. Very limited.

Thanks for the tip on the bass playing. I let band in the box do my bass lines. That and the guitar lines because I know so little of how those two instruments do what they do in a jazz band. Typically, when I saw a bass player's music (and same with guitar... piano too come to think of it) they give those guys chords. I saw Steve Israel's page on bass lines, I really should study that more.

My major focus the past couple of years has been trying to get a realistic rendition of the band. I feel I've gotten fairly good at getting a realistic sound. So this round of revamps I've been messing more with automation in the audio and mixing. Mixing and mastering is like a black box to me. I've read some books though. But I haven't gotten some of the fundamentals like the bass down, I'm glad you said something to that effect because in the long process of doing just one song, stuff like that gets overlooked.

Thanks again!

Rich Garber
    Living Waters Jazz

Thanks John and Trent! Much appreciate you listening and saying so. Thanks again!

Rich Garber
    Living Waters Jazz

Nice track Rich.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Thanks Hipster!

Rich Garber
    Living Waters Jazz

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast