• Register
  • Help

Topic: Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto

Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto

Hi, all!

Allow me to post a sequel to Victor's Spellbound Concerto. This is Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto arranged for solo piano by Geehl.

Like Victor, I wish to play this with orchestra someday. There's nothing wrong with dreaming. Although to do that, I would have to practice a lot since I don't have Victor's chops.

This was played live with Garritan Steinway Pro Under Lid through Sonar. A little editing was done (some flubbed notes and I didn't want to do it all over again). No dynamic compression was done. I could have encoded in mp3 224 bits but it would bloat the file so I opted for 128 bits.

Re: Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto

This is one of my favorites and you gave a great performance!

Your playing has a lovely flow and all the right dynamics.
    I especially loved the quiet part starting at 4:06
    which was played beautifully and sensitively.

I can imagine all the hard work that you put into such a long piece.

If I had an orchestra then I would have invited you… but…
    all I can do is to wish for you to find that orchestra!

Hi, Yudit!

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for your kind words. Yes, I put in some work for this piece. Especially the part where there's a melody with the left hand and counterpoint with the right hand.

Well done, you did it, congratulations, sounds very romantic. I enjoy specially my favorite part at 4:05, you did a great job with the melody and the left hand. I have the score too and really is a great pleasure to perform it. This music of the golden era is worth bringing back. Thanks for that!.

Great Concerto for romantic music lovers and a marvelous
    performance by yourself. It always seemed to me that this
    concerto by Richard Addinsell was considered never quite
    eloquent enough to be played with the standard repertoire. I
    imagine that its brevity was its worst enemy as standard
    concertos mostly have three independent movements.

But, such great melody, virtuosity and with orchestra, so thrilling
    to listen to.

Thank you for playing this and reminding me of what a great
    concerto this is, even though it is short in comparison to other
    great concertos.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi, Victor! Thanks for listening. Yes, it is definitely worth bringing back music from the golden era. They are among my favorites.

Jack, this music was made for the movies, so not really a real concerto, but one that was commissioned to 'sound like' Rachmaninoff. It's played more in pop concerts than in classical ones. There's a YouTube video of Richard Carpenter playing it with orchestra. Thanks for listening and your comments!

Dublin, Ireland

If I remember correctly the original intention of the producers of "Dangerous Moonlight" in 1941 was to feature Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, but as the work was then new, for various reasons they changed their minds and instead commissioned Richard Addinsell to write a concert type piece in the style of the great Russian. The work is not played continuously, i.e without a break, in the film, but the intention was to give the impression that the extracts heard were part of a longer full-scale work. He came up with this superb take on Rachmaninov, with memorable tunes, lovely orchestration, which was played by Louis Kentner for the soundtrack.
    You have done a very sympathetic job on it, making it an enjoyable piece to listen to, even without the orchestra. The Steinway sounds well, so thumbs for a lovely rendition sensitively handled!

Hi, Eugene!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for listening.

Suburban NYC

That was great ... it's truly amazing how much great music was composed for film ... in every genre imaginable.

To complete the 'Film Concerto Trifecta', one of you great pianists out there now needs to record Bernard Herrmann's "Concerto Macabre" composed for "Hangover Square"!

This concerto, - the sole piano version - is more to my ears than lots and lots of performances I've heard. I am not quite fond of it, but I never heard the performance doing right to this work. Often it is all overdone, leaning against Rachmaninoff to often, with to much virtuosity, thunderous crescendos, etc.

I once saw the score and there is a lot more in it; performed with care and subtleness it is a rather beautiful piece.

Go Back to forum