• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Champ by Dave Grusin

The Champ by Dave Grusin

Hi everyone, I have not posted a song in a long time.
    I did this about a year ago I think.
    It is all GPO, GOS strings, Garritan Steinway and a
    Fender Rhodes from Jazz and Big Band.

It is the theme from the movie "The Champ".
    I posted my version of this in a thread called "On Golden Pond"
    but I could not find it, so I thought I would post.

Sorry for those who have already heard it.

The Champ

Central Illinois

Re: The Champ by Dave Grusin

Dan, It's been too long since you have left something here for us to enjoy. This is beautifully done and you've got a lush sound in this. Is that the GPO Alto Flute Solo? The flute and the oboe sound especially nice. Thanks for sharing this Dan, I enjoyed every bit of it.

I heard this the first time, but can never tire of hearing your
    great mixes. Just absolutely awesome Dan. Seems like the
    instruments used here were made for this piece. They blend
    so well and make such a wonderful musical family.

Fantastic Dan. Your talent is something we all admire and look
    toward when we try to emulate your musical productions.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Beautiful Dan, as always. I'm sure DG would approve of your treatments of his music. He's one of my favorites,as well. I hadn't watched it for a long time, but a couple weeks ago I popped in his West Side Story DVD. Fun to watch him in action.

Suburban NYC

Wow Dan, that was breathtaking!

The rendering, the mix ... it had that great film score feel to it. Just beautiful. I have a Mancini (CD) arrangement of Morricone's "Cinema Paradiso" and your piece was very reminiscent of that. What feeling.

OOT: I went to your site and listened to "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts ...). Question: Was that the Johnny Mandel arrangement you performed ?... the string and reed writing in general and the high, 'steely' unison strings on the orchestral break made me think so. That piece was gorgeous as well!

thank you John for listening ,, It is the ever-so-popular flute solo V not the Alto

and Jack, for never missing a beat
    Linwood, I will have to check out the West Side Story DVD, that sounds like something worth buying.

Frank, great ears
    Yes, that is indeed the Jonny Mandell arrangent from David Foster's Christmas CD.... well as close as I could get it. Like this version of The Champ, I do everything by ear and I borrowed the arrangement off the Foster Christmas CD for the Garritan CD. Great of you to recognize the style,,, Jonny Mandell is so amazing. Thanks for the nice compliments.

Just breathless listening..... wonderful.

You did this just by ear?! Gosh, you're really a champ! Thank you for sharing.

Raymond, awe,
    you make me very happy inside!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by electone2007
    You did this just by ear?! Gosh, you're really a champ!
    electone2007, that's a very humbling thing you just said.... thank you!

One of our beloved forum members (schneb) is very fond of this song by Dave Grusin, as am I. I saw the movie many years ago, and it is so sad that I threw the movie away because it made me cry so hard.

Anyway, after I had posted "On Golden Pond" (somewhere on this forum) another movie theme by Grusin, Schneb asked if I would consider making an all Garritan mockup of The Champ and I responded with... YOU'RE ON!

In that thread I posted each section's sound as I picked it out and finally the full mix. It took about 17 hours if I recall, don't ask why I can remember 17 hours and not where it is. ha ha

I am so glad it brings some warmth to your soul as you listen to it.
    Lately, I have been mixing some music by one of VSL's most cherished users, Guy Bacos, and even though I have fallen in love with some of VSL's sounds, I realize how expensive those instruments/libraries are.

It is comforting to know that regardless of the libraries we use, as long as we can create good emotion with the samples, then it's all good.
    I can't wait for GOS II.
    Thank you guys very much.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast