• Register
  • Help

Topic: Malmsjo & Alesis

Share/Bookmark

Re: Malmsjo & Alesis

That\'s cool R, tho I have to say I\'m surprised the Alesis piano gets you closer to where you want to be. I did the best I could with those QS8 patches but they sure do show the limitation of old technology. I sure love what you get with a good gigasample!

best regards,
    -sam

Re: Malmsjo & Alesis

Hi Sam,

It sure surprised the hell out of me too. But because the Malsjo it so round and warm it seems to leave little space for the Alesis to rear its ugly head. I think another thing I like about the combination of the two is that the Alesis has very little ambiance and very few overtones where the Malmsjo has tons. Ive found other piano samples overly resonant for my taste. The sound Im getting now is very intimate. Its about as close as Ive heard to replicating the acoustics of a medium sized room. And then if I need bigger, well theres always reverb.

So anyway, there it is.

Runamuck

Malmsjo & Alesis

Hi,

For quite a while, like many of you, I have been searching for a piano sample I can live with happily. I have tried almost everything out there and have been frustrated by one thing or another by each. I just stumbled on something this morning that I wanted to pass on. Of course I realize that we all have our own preferences and what we like and dislike is very personal.

I played a new Steinway over the course of a couple of months about 20 years ago while living in NYC. Since then I have always yearned for the purity of that particular piano. This morning I finally got pretty close.

I just recieved the Malmsjo Grand CD in the mail yesterday and anxiously loaded it up. It\'s great but not exactly what I\'ve been looking for. Actually it reminds me of an old Chickering Square Grand I used to own many years ago. Having been a piano technician in the past, I had thoroughly restored the Chickering to probably close to its original sound. And I loved it for its old flowery personality. But it was not as wonderful and evolved as the Steinway.

So anyway this morning I loaded up the Malmsjo and thinking its just not quite right, I began experimenting - double tracking other piano sounds I have along with it.

After trying a few, I tried a patch on my Alesis QS8. Now this is not a factory preset. It\'s actually a patch I downloaded off the Net several years ago from Sam Streeper\'s website. Sam\'s patch makes the Alesis sound about as good as it\'s going to get but far from wonderful. For anyone with an Alesis out there, who also has a copy of the Malmsjo, I suggest you try the following:

Download Sam\'s patch \"Piano 27\", and track that along with the Malmsjo in your sequencer with each set to roughly the same volume. I use Cubase and for the Malmsjo, I compress it to 25% in the Inspector. I believe what this does is it triggers only PP velocity stuff from the Malmsjo leaving the high frequency stuff to the Alesis patch (which on it\'s own is grainy, harsh and digital) while letting the Malmsjo handle the low mids and bass. The combination is articulate and warm and just wonderful. So close to that Steinway Ive dreamed of.

Runamuck

Go Back to forum