• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Soaring

Share/Bookmark

Post Soaring

It's been a long time since I posted any music in the Listening Room. It's a little thing I put together the other night. I used mostly the GPO library along with ARIA's voices and a couple instruments from the Concert & Marching Band Library. I only had time to record it using Finale 2009's audio export and then a little work in Sound Forge. Hope it sounds OK.

Gary A.

http://www.box.net/shared/qhcuhedq5x
    Last edited by serenitymusician; 04-03-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Update on music file
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Soaring

Hi, I enjoyed this piece, it made me think of the cinema and this as a part of a soundtrack. Those choral voices sound good in this. Thanks for sharing here! John

Thanks for the nice comments, John! I really appreciate it. I did not have anything really in mind when I started this, just an idea in my head that grew to what you hear. I've wanted to do something with the new voices for a while. I also wanted to write something totally different from what I usually write. My partner Karen mentioned it sounded like something Philip Glass would write, which really surprised me. I'm hoping to find a video clip somewhere of someone soaring over mountains really fast so I can put the two together.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Gary A.

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

I've been on a bit of a hidden treasure hunt this morning, looking at back pages of the LR for things I may have missed and want to respond to.

Bingo! - If ever there was an over-looked golden nugget of wonderfulness in the LR, your "Soaring" would have to be it, Gary A.

This is great!- Perplexed by your comment that "...It's a little thing I put together the other night..." What?? This is as fully worked out as pieces that a lot of us would need weeks to produce. How'd you manage?

Your partner Karen's remark that it's something like Phillip Glass--hmmm, well, it has a bit of a minimalist thing going for it with the repeating rhythmic figure, but it's much too melodic and drama-driven to be truly Glass-like. And that's one of its strengths.

The sudden ending was a bit like soaring then hitting a brick wall - but I imagine you consider this a work-in-progress.

Glad I found this and soared right along with it. THANKS!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I've been on a bit of a hidden treasure hunt this morning, looking at back pages of the LR for things I may have missed and want to respond to.

Bingo! - If ever there was an over-looked golden nugget of wonderfulness in the LR, your "Soaring" would have to be it, Gary A.

This is great!- Perplexed by your comment that "...It's a little thing I put together the other night..." What?? This is as fully worked out as pieces that a lot of us would need weeks to produce. How'd you manage?
    Thank you so much Randy for going back and listening to this piece and for your wonderful comments. I so very much appreciate it. I hope others in the LR will take some additional time to listen and comment as well.

It sure was a lot of fun putting together. Yes, I really did do this in an evening, though I have gone back a few times since putting this on LR and tweeked some of it. As my partner Karen has observed when I did this, it just happens (I keep telling her she inspires me!). Yes it does end rather abruptly, something I had hoped to work on later, but the Howard Hanson project has taken up so much of my time I haven't had a chance to do much more with it. Actually, I thought how much fun it would be to put together several selections to go along with Soaring, something that would tie them altogether. I did put together a video clip with Soaring in the background, but it too is a work in progress.

Well, Randy you've given me more reason to continue working on other aspects of Soaring and I hope to do that over the summer. Take care.

Gary A.

Hey Gary,

Very nice work, and extremely impressive being the result of one night's work! Nice lush orchestration, and a good rendering.

I agree with Randy that Glass is not really who comes to mind listening to this. Not a bad thing, since that territory is pretty well-covered.

Please repost if you do any new work on this.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hi Gary:

Missed this the first time around. I also feel that this is a
    very nice piece and to have been created and sequenced
    in one evening is an even greater achievement.

You did a marvelous job with Finale 2009. The arranging
    and recording were very well handled.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I listened to this shortly after Randy brought it back to the top but didn't have time to post. I've given it another listen tonight.

I find it really impressive that you did this in an evening - there seems to be a lot to it.

I will say that the very beginning does remind me of P. Glass and there are a few other parts that do as well (a few of the chords and the some arpeggiated parts), but not greatly - if it wasn't brought up before I would not mention it - the piece as a whole does not sound like him (to my ears).
    Trent P. McDonald

Love it! I found while listening to it a great desire to see the scenes on the big screen flashing by as the music played. It made me think of dragon riders and epic World of Warcraft type of magic. Truly awsome sound and written from the soul and not the brain. So glad I searched and found this. I am inspired and now I am really looking forward to the day I can get GPO4 and Finale 2010. I especially love the vocals, they always set a piece of music apart from the rest. Thanks for sharing.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar View Post
    Love it! I found while listening to it a great desire to see the scenes on the big screen flashing by as the music played. It made me think of dragon riders and epic World of Warcraft type of magic. Truly awsome sound and written from the soul and not the brain. So glad I searched and found this. I am inspired and now I am really looking forward to the day I can get GPO4 and Finale 2010. I especially love the vocals, they always set a piece of music apart from the rest. Thanks for sharing.
    Wow! Thank you, Samantha, for the great review! What really amazes me about this piece is how it keeps coming back for review after it's disappeared for a long time. It sure was a blast to write. The vocals were the first thing I heard in my head when I started writing it (well, not counting the OTHER voices in my head). I never thought of dragon riders, but that is really a cool thought. There is a "Soaring" video on YouTube which I put together but haven't really advertised to anyone (more work needs to be done with it). Just search for "Soaring" at YouTube if you want to check it out. I will have to see what I can do with dragon riders! What a cool idea! Thanks again, Samantha!

Gary A.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast