OT - not quite, but about my findings of Sonar 8 and other things
The New Gear;
I now have Sonar 8.3 and only installed the pure Sonar program-64 bits version. All other stuff doesn't interest me at the moment. Of course the first thing I did was taking one part of my symphony and tried to play it "sec", that means no alterations in the project setup.
Things sounded different, better and worse. Better: the overall sound. It seemed that the audio engine had been rewritten for a clearer sound. Worse was the effect of PerfectSpace, that had been rewritten also, I think. Now all my reverb settings were too "much" in particular those where pizzicato strings (celli and double basses) play a role. An ugly echo, bouncing of the "virtual" wall was very pronounced.
Next, and I searched for it for some time, normally under Sonar 5 one could draw CC info by hand without another key pressed. Now I have to press also the CTRL-key to make it happen.
My OS is XP64, so I thought I could make use of that 64-bit engine. After several tries, I just gave up. SONAR 8 stalls!!!!!! I had to re-start the system. This was all done with the Audiophile 2496, with that buggy 64-bit betadriver. OK, while installing SONAR 8, it complained about not finding Vista64, but I think that stalling may NOT happen, Sonar has to say: "you want it, but I found some error. Sorry" and continue, not stalling.
EMU 1616M, I switched to another soundcard (ahum), it is a completely different idea. Of course, not being familiar with certain terminology, I struggled to get it working in order to playback wave files and output from Sonar. I managed to do that and again I am not using any other "bits and bolts" that came with it (I updated the driver from internet).
Now I played that same projectfile again and heaven opened. A bit exaggerated, I know, but at least I could eleminate one source of "colouring" : my cheap hardware mixerpanel. I can plug in my headphones directly into that extra box. Suddenly my desktop looks empty, less boxes on it. The driver is great. I am now working with 64-bits only. Still Sonar 8 stalls when using the 64-bit engine. So, after all it had less to do with the driver of M-Audio.
Result, you can imagine that I started to re-render my symphony. I am having troubles with this, almost everything has to be re-designed. But that keeps me busy - a sort of braintraining, keeping me young.
[Having said that, I am cooking a message to DPDAN about Altiverb.]
Am I disappointed? No way, I must getting used to it, I now can hear all sorts of errors, I never noticed before. Overture users be warned. When you apply the playback function and the playback accents (like staccato, pizzicato) over notes Overture sets all sorts of CC info at different channels. I now noticed that I have CC#7 on different channels, as well as CC#1 info, CC#64 settings and CC#21's. Next time I export a file from Overture for Sonar, I will delete ALL (and literally ALL) CC's.
Re: OT - not quite, but about my findings of Sonar 8 and other things
The stalling when loading in Sonar x64 is usually caused by one of the plugins. To find the offending one, you need to load up in safe mode. Safe mode gives you the option to bypass all plugins or to choose which plugins. Most of the time it's Kontakt 2 that causes the stalling. I've found that I can reload them, save the file and then it works fine the next time.