• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The CONTEST IDEA CONTEST - Win a GPO ARIA and Steinway Basic

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb The CONTEST IDEA CONTEST - Win a GPO ARIA and Steinway Basic

It's time for another contest!

I thought and thought about what kind of contest to hold.We have had orchestral contests, composition contests, holiday music contests, naming contest, caption contests, and many contests over the years.

We need something new, something different - but I can't think of a new contest idea.

So let's make that the contest: a Contest Idea Contest

Submit a contest idea, and I'll choose the best one, and the person who submitted the best idea contest gets a free Steinway Basic and GPO ARIA (or suitable substitutes).

The contest idea contest should conform to these guidelines:

• A new contest, not previously done
    • Not very difficult
    • Not too easy

After I select the winning contest idea, then we'll start a contest that uses that idea, and the winner will win something else.

This should be a very exciting contest!

Have fun,

Gary

Re: The CONTEST IDEA CONTEST - Win a GPO ARIA and Steinway Basic

How about a "Most Useful Post" and/or "Most Helpful Forum Member" contest? With helpful posts, we all win!

It's not practical to heave everyone review every post, but we could call for nominations of useful posts/users, and then vote on those nominees.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Name This Tune – A user posts a piece of music. It can be a simple melody or a highly detailed, worked out piece. The only restrictions are that it is less than 4 minutes and that it uses Garritan products. People then name the “tune”, 1 name per person. After a few days people can vote on the names. The winner posts the next “tune”.
    Trent P. McDonald

Here are some thoughts, but they're just that.

Targeted Music
    You already have one of those in your list, Christmas music, which you've separated from composition and orchestral contests. So you can have a jazz, celtic, rock, country, or whatever contest. (grin) If I could find the sampled insturments for it, I'd love to compete in a "Taiko Drums" contest. (Hint for Garritan World...)

Funny and Whimsical
    One of my favorite comedians is Victor Borge. So have a contest for a musical comedy routine. The routine must contain some music, as Borge did in many of his comedic pieces. The music doesn't have to be original. Or you could take a page from Anna Russell and just have it be ABOUT music and/or musicians. Submit the recording of the comedy routine for judging.

Quirky Contest
    I recall a piece that was composed around a stuck key on an organ. This contest would require compositions centered around a "quirk" of some kind. A stuck note, a malfunctioning or out of tune instrument, a drummer who always plays too loud or too late, whatever. Or run in a nonstandard instrument (I remember Pete Schickle substituted an electric bass into an orchestra during a concert... was quite funny).

Whose Line Is It, Anyway?
    That was a favorite comedy show of mine, featuring comedians required to improvise. (Do you get the idea I like comedy?) They had many musical games to play, such as "Hoe Down" (improvise a hoe-down verse on a certain subject), but I think I like the one where two comedians tried to "sell" a CD on some audience-chosen topic, and two other comedians had to imrovise words to match the song titles. You could adapt a game like that to composers, who have to come up with a complete song (with lyrics) on a specific topic and in a specific style.

I'l give it some more thought and see if I come up with any other ideas.

Radio Ad Biz
    Oh, here's another one. Come up with a fictional product, it can be as serious or whimsical as you like. Entrants to the contest would have to create a radio commercial, with or without music, to sell this fictional product.

Song Parody Contest
    Provide a song title and challenge competitors to pen a parody of it. The background music should be provided (maybe?), and this would be a contest to write lyrics and sing them. Copyright issues may make this unworkable.

Chain Composing
    Define the final piece you wish to have... it's style, mood, whatever. Competitors would be assigned to write a section of the overall piece... and it must fit in with what was written before, but still be the competitors composition. Not sure how to score this one. Maybe a variation, assign teams of composers to use this method to jointly compose a piece, and the teams compete.

Olympics
    Challenge competitors to compose a piece of music that matches a game or sport. The game could be football, baseball, dressage, dog agility, poker, tiddly-winks, whatever.

How about a best tutorial contest? You come up with a list of topics that users can choose from. The topics will be topics to help a user learn a Garritan product. Each contestant chooses a topic and writes a tutorial about it. The best tutorial is selected for a winner and the rest of the entries are compiled as a tutorial for a Garritan product. It's a win-win!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

How about a contest to submit the best home-brew sample library.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    the person who submitted the best idea contest gets a free Steinway Basic and GPO ARIA (or suitable substitutes).
    Are there suitable substitutes for GPO ARIA??????

In any case, I am new to this forum, and hope I am not repeating something already done, so here are a few ideas for musical description:

1. Compose a sonic sketch of a well-known actor, actress or other famous person (living or dead) – two to three minutes in length, no other limits, describing the essence of that person. This would again allow the master orchestrators and those of us with less developed abilities on this site to participate at our own levels of competence. You could choose the individual, or the composer might. Clint Eastwood? Audrey Hepburn? Queen Elizabeth? Nelson Mandela? Gandhi?

2. Your impression of a picture posted on the site: could be photograph of a something, or painting by a famous artist. Participants might use a solo keyboard instrument or up to x number of other single string, wood, horn, etc. instruments to express their idea.

3. Compose a fanfare for your head of state, or an idea such as justice, world peace, or the opening of the next Olympics. About one minute in length.

4. Compose a music box type of lullaby using a single instrument, such as a quantized piano, other keyboard, or Garritan GPO percussion instrument.

5. Compose a theme for a made-up book or movie title; again, this would be a short piece, yet convey a feeling of wonderment about the book or movie subject, inviting you to read it or see it.
    Wider is better.

Find the best piece of music that Garritan has never heard before. (To respond you must post a link to the piece in the forum.)

Contest for the best live performance that uses Garritan instruments. Could be a solo performance or a performance along with combinations of other accompanying instruments like in a concerto. Performance could be any piece for any instrument that the presenter of the contest chooses. Performers however get to choose their own interpretation of the piece. Performances must be video recorded.

Go Back to forum