• Register
  • Help

Topic: Glinka - Overture to Russlan & Ludmilla for CMB Sax Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Glinka - Overture to Russlan & Ludmilla for CMB Sax Ensemble

The Glinka "Overture to Russlan & Ludmilla" has to be one of the all time orchestral crowd pleasures. The work was Glinka's second opera with the beloved overture actually published before the opening of the opera itself.

Here it is set for large saxophone ensemble using the JABB and CMB libraries as scored in Finale 2008;

Sopranino (JABB)
    Soprano 1, 2
    Alto 1 - 3
    Tenor 1,2
    Baritone
    Bass

This particular version was created from a piano arrangement of the entire opera, possibily used for reheasal purposes. Even as a whole the work is quite technical, it lays out nicely, with division and trading of parts.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Glinka - Overture to Russlan & Ludmilla for CMB Sax Ensemble

Hi Gary,

This sounds interesting ... but am I missing something? The only link is to your web site and I didn't see it there.

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Gary,

This sounds interesting ... but am I missing something? The only link is to your web site and I didn't see it there.

Regards,

Frank
    Frank,

The link is to my main music page. If you scroll down you will find a link to the saxophone music page. It contains more than just quartet music now;

http://www.garybricault.com/saxquartet.html

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the direction ... It seemed like I looked in the Sax Ensemble section last night but just didn't see it ... serves me right for looking for anything at 1:30am

This was really an energetic piece; I can see why you said it's a crowd pleaser. Although I haven't listened to much classical saxophone ensembles, I love listening to anything that involves the extended sax family (Other than the rare Eb Contrabass, seems like you have all of them). This must be very exciting performed live. I remember now listening to the Cappricio Espangol you posted a while ago ... same instrumentation.

I enjoyed this.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Gary, That saxophone link on the main site is easy to miss. I followed the link and found the Glinka piece and listened. It's another good arrangement under your belt for the sax ensemble. I especially liked the lowest sax part in this piece.

I'm a bit stunned by the enormity of your arranging work. You have been busy.
    Thanks for the new piece and for the link to your vault! John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Gary, That saxophone link on the main site is easy to miss. I followed the link and found the Glinka piece and listened. It's another good arrangement under your belt for the sax ensemble. I especially liked the lowest sax part in this piece.

I'm a bit stunned by the enormity of your arranging work. You have been busy.
    Thanks for the new piece and for the link to your vault! John
    John,

I am glad that you enjoyed the work. It is an exceptionally exciting piece, always been one of my favorites. Yes it is true I have a considerable library of material that I am attempting to steadily grow. The Garritan products are an important part of that effort.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum