• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What monitors are you using?

Share/Bookmark

What monitors are you using?

I'm looking to replace my crappy M-Audio monitors with something more serious. I'm also looking to stop working with a subwoofer - I'm afraid I just don't believe the notion that bass is non-directional, nor have I had much success getting the cross-over to work smoothly; and the fact that you can usually adjust your overall volume and bass separately seems to render the whole notion of a flat frequency response a little nonsensical.

So I'm looking for the most accurate pair of powered monitors I can get for about £1000. Any advice?
    David

Re: What monitors are you using?

I have Mackie HR824's. I like them!

I'm sure others will chime in with their preference.

What I did when I was shopping for monitors was to bring a CD of music I was familiar with and listen to several monitors in the store. I then picked a few that I liked and asked to borrow them so I could listen to them at home.

It helped me decide to spend the extra money and choose the Mackies over the M-Audio ones I was trying out.

Rob

Bass is pretty much influenced as much by the room as it is the speakers, or sub, so controlling the volume independently is often needed to tune it properly to the room and it's placement. Of course with speakers, you lose the independent control, but can always EQ them to tune the bass. Personally, I prefer the extension a good sub gives me over monitors, though for many genre's of music, you won't need the super low bass anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    ...so I'm looking for the most accurate pair of powered monitors I can get for about £1000. Any advice?
    Hi Pingu

Have you checked out Blue Sky monitors?

The MediaDesk 2.1 or ProDesk 2.1 might be interesting for you. Note that they use a sub but give them a listen at a store if you can.

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/catalogu...prodcode=00012

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/catalogu....asp?linkid=18

A few years ago, The engineers at Skywalker Sound decided to replace all their monitors after hearing the BlueSkys.

You can read the article about it here :

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/news/newspage.asp?id=48

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

NDEE

It just occurred to me that Gary was at Skywalker Sound recently to record his new Steinway library, maybe he can comment on the Blue Sky monitors?

NDEE

Hi Pingu, I am using some JBL LSR monitors that come with a calibration microphone and software that allows you to tune your listening environment to
    your room dimensions and speaker placement. So if you are in a less than ideal studio (dimensions and sound treatment) you can make compensations to hear your mix accurately. The six inch woofers would be in your budget, but the 8's might be pushing it. Happy hunting! John

I swear by the Genelecs. (After spending many years swearing AT others.)

JBL, I understand, is also impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by NDEE View Post
    Hi Pingu

Have you checked out Blue Sky monitors?

The MediaDesk 2.1 or ProDesk 2.1 might be interesting for you. Note that they use a sub but give them a listen at a store if you can.

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/catalogu...prodcode=00012

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/catalogu....asp?linkid=18

A few years ago, The engineers at Skywalker Sound decided to replace all their monitors after hearing the BlueSkys.

You can read the article about it here :

http://www.abluesky.com/asp/news/newspage.asp?id=48

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

NDEE
    The largest woofer of the two is 5.25", and I would think that would require a pretty high sub crossover, somewhere around 110hz perhaps, which isn't exactly optimal. 6.5"+ is best for a solid mid range IMO, I see they offer 6.5" monitors on their site as well however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrosis View Post
    The largest woofer of the two is 5.25", and I would think that would require a pretty high sub crossover, somewhere around 110hz perhaps, which isn't exactly optimal. 6.5"+ is best for a solid mid range IMO, I see they offer 6.5" monitors on their site as well however.
    I do not hear anything close to your speculation about the Blue Sky's woofers with their System One. (That is the 6.5" you are referring to). The Blue Sky subs are not designed to be "typical" subs in that all of their monitors are designed to function with the sub only. The sub is part of the stereo system...not a separate channel. In running their systems as intended you will find the frequency response they produce to be incredibly flat and accurate across the entire sound spectrum. I also find that I can listen for long periods of time on my Blue Sky system One without ear fatigue. I could not do that in years past with Events or Mackies. back when I was shopping for new monitors, it cam down to the Adams and Blue Skys for me and after spending some time with them...the Blue Skys won out.

I highly recommend anyone give them serious consideration.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston View Post
    I do not hear anything close to your speculation about the Blue Sky's woofers with their System One. (That is the 6.5" you are referring to). The Blue Sky subs are not designed to be "typical" subs in that all of their monitors are designed to function with the sub only. The sub is part of the stereo system...not a separate channel. In running their systems as intended you will find the frequency response they produce to be incredibly flat and accurate across the entire sound spectrum. I also find that I can listen for long periods of time on my Blue Sky system One without ear fatigue. I could not do that in years past with Events or Mackies. back when I was shopping for new monitors, it cam down to the Adams and Blue Skys for me and after spending some time with them...the Blue Skys won out.

I highly recommend anyone give them serious consideration.
    I was referring to the 5.25" stereo woofer with sub that was linked, not their 6.5".

As far as having a flat frequency response with the 5.25", I am not saying it doesn't have one, but since bass doesn't become omni directional until around <80hz, and with many instruments and the human voice able to produce sound down there as well, its best if that info isn't sent to the sub woofer, so the lowest possible crossover is desirable. So that is all I meant, and why I think 6.5" or larger is more ideal, with whatever brand he ends up with.

Go Back to forum